Remove #5 and #7 plugs?

-

WSUTARD

Reaction score
Anyone have advice on how to remove and install the #5 and #7 plugs on a 340? My header is right in the way.
image.jpeg

can you get a box wrench on there?

otherwise, your gonna need to pull the header

or maybe, you can pull the valve cover of and get a flexjoint on a ratchet on there

Cant really. I can get one on it but there is a sliver of room to move it. Feel like it would be the hardest thing to get it back on. I just wanted to check the color.

Was hoping there was an ol'timer trick out there.

Put a spark plug socket on the plug, and use an open end wrench to turn the socket! This method has worked for my header equipped small blocks.

I cut a spark plug socket an inch or so to fit a similar tight fit. You may have to bend a box end to fit the angles you are dealing with or window a portion of a socket to get it in. A different plug style with a smaller nut size (peanut plugs they are often referee to as) may help once you get the current set out. You will have to get creative if you do not want to remove the header.

Put a spark plug socket on the plug, and use an open end wrench to turn the socket! This method has worked for my header equipped small blocks.
Do you use a short/stubby open end? My socket takes a 3/4 and it is so long it runs into the steering components. I have two that I have tried. No way to get to it from above.

I've done it 1000 times with a plug socket and an open end wrench fr the top with those exact headers . all your doing is breaking them loose and using your fingers to take them out.

You can either buy a short 3/4" wrench or cut a cheap wrench down to clear. The pics I posted were under the hood of my Chrysler, so I was kinda cheating. But I use this method on my Dart as well.

I use a stubby crecent on the spark plug socket. You will want to let the headers cool first.Anti-seize also helps.
To get em back in take a good look at the angle and start them in with just your fingers then put the socket on. It gets easier with practice.

Got em out. Thanks guys. I had to use a crescent from under the header to crack them open. Then reached underneath and loosened with my fingers.

Glad I took them out because they were both carbon fouled. Trying to track down an issue with my 340.

Glad you got them out!
Hey...at least it's not as bad as what the big-block guys go through!
You just have to be a low-level contortionist, and hold your mouth just right...you can get stuck if you do it wrong, LOL! ;-)

This and if need be, remove the valve cover. Replace valve cover gasket with the MoPar reusable rubber/steel gasket.

Seems to be easier with my eyes closed and my tongue sticking out the corner of my mouth...

-
Back