remove bushings

-

grassy

Reaction score
I had intended for a garage to replace all the bushing in my front end...but I am now doing this job.

Are there any really basic instructions on how to remove these things..

The front end is off and the k frame has been removed.

Thanks
Ian.

easiest order is

remove the LBJ and spindle off the LCA

un cotter pin and loosen the castle nuts for the LCA pivots

now remove the nut and front washer/bushing on the strut rod

now you can wiggle the LCA out...

now press out the LCA pivot with a 7/16 socket and extension...

if you are running the Poly LCA bushings leave the outer sleeve in the LCA and the inner on the Pivot...

Thank-you. I have been away too long.

Can I take out all the bushings with a light tap of a 7/16 ? Just trying to visualize what I tried to take apart a couple of weeks ago.

Grassy

getting the rubber out of the lca's can be a bear, i just pour a Lil charcoal lighter fluid on em and light......after they go out you can pick the rubber out pretty easily with a screwdriver

getting the rubber out of the lca's can be a bear, i just pour a Lil charcoal lighter fluid on em and light......after they go out you can pick the rubber out pretty easily with a screwdriver

thats a great tip, i will remember that one

what do you mean? after you press out the pivot you can just use a screw driver and they come right out...

There is a tool kit you can buy that will take this care of that super fast. It took me longer to find the correct socket then it took to remove all the bushings and ball joints.

I thought about buying the set of tools sold to blow the front end components apart, but being that I had already made a torsion remover tool, and have had the ball joint socket in my tool box for a long time, I went out and bought an on sale 20 ton Harbor Freight press that made short work of pressing the pins out. Even the cheaper 12 ton works for this. I think I spent similar money to the cost of the special tools. Six or seven bucks of scrap steel bits and some junk bolts were all the special tooling needed.
A couple of small screw drivers were all that was needed to twist the rubber bushings out. To date I haven't found any that were bonded to the shells and needed to be burned out. A thick washer of the right diameter to sit just inside the outer edge of the outer bushing sleeve flare and securely welded (tacked) on simplifies pressing that outer shell out if you're replacing it with an OEM style rubber one. If the inner bushing shell stays in place on the pin (likely), a washer welded (again just tacked) onto it allows you to press the pin out with damage if you need to remove those too to refit your new bushings.

did a search...a lot of noise...

Yes...we are at the point of all nuts being off. No desire to buy a press. I may have bought a hand tool. Don't quite remember..part of the gift from all the meds. Will look. May be cheaper just the lot down to a service station and have them do it. ...I wikl ask them....antway, we are here..

part-XL.jpg

Banging doesn't help :D

Dragtop, didn't see it in your post but that could be me. I am envious that you can use a sand blaster. Major problems with that in our reason. I have built a dryer station for the air and it that doesn't work, I give up on sand blasting completely.

Thanks

did a search...a lot of noise...

Yes...we are at the point of all nuts being off. No desire to buy a press. I may have bought a hand tool. Don't quite remember..part of the gift from all the meds. Will look. May be cheaper just the lot down to a service station and have them do it. ...I wikl ask them....antway, we are here..

part-XL.jpg

Banging doesn't help :D

Dragtop, didn't see it in your post but that could be me. I am envious that you can use a sand blaster. Major problems with that in our reason. I have built a dryer station for the air and it that doesn't work, I give up on sand blasting completely.

Thanks

That picture isn't bushings. That is the tie rod ends and drag link. You need a tie rod fork or two hammers to pop it apart. If you dropped the assembly with your K frame I think a trip to the car wash would be in order to clean things up. I find some cheap oven cleaner helps clean off the crud. Cleaner parts will be easier to work with plus you will be able to see what is really there.

Yep like Olka said thats tie rod and drag link. If you ever need the tool for removing bushings, take a look at my link...post#67.....lookeee fer boooobeeeee ...
I got about $100 at the most invested in my air drier stuff for my sandblaster and it works great. Pm me your email and I will let ya know what I did..

Steve

-
Back