Remove Hedman paint?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
I bought a set of Hedmans, not realizing (until I read on this board) and then reading a tiny note they threw in --THEY DON'T PAINT their headers with hi temp paint!!! (It's only for rust.) So if you want hi temp you have to remove the factory junk.

So I have a gallon of acetone, figure that for sure. I've used about 1/2 gallon of that stuff, and all it did was make a sticky mess

WHAT chemical (don't have a blaster, really) will take this crap off?

Yep, if ya can take the headers off the car, find the biggest rubbermaid container you can buy and let them soak in aircraft stripper....it's messy like the other guys said but its better than smelling the cheap paint burn off the first time ya fire it up

just fire it up and it all comes right off...

Well between some high dollar stripper from Lowes, most of a gallon of acetone, any a 2500 psi pressure washer, it sorta came off. I also wrote a letter to Hedman explaining how they will never see another dollar from me. Geazus, Hedman, if you can spend the time to paint them with crap low temp paint, it wouldn't cost you two nickles more (which I'd pay for) to paint 'em with hi temp in the first place

EITHER THAT OR LEAVE 'EM BARE AND JUS SPRAY A COAT OF OIL ON 'EM

I would mount them, start them and burn the paint off, What doesnt come off, just paint over. They paint them for corrosion control only, and to cover crappy welds. Oil would just piss off the shippers who would have to deal with soggy boxes and customers that would mount them and run for the hills when the smoke starts to billow off them. Bare headers would flash rust in the box and would get returned for selling a rusty product. Its a no win for Hedman except MAYBE.....painting them with BBQ paint to start with!

-
Back