removing carb spacer

-

green67cuda

Reaction score
my old 600 cfm holley was on the torker intake with a 1" spacer. I just bought a 750 cfm holley and the air horn is taller, and it alone touches the hood insulation, and the top of the air cleaner touches the bowl vent, and also keeps the choke from opening all the way. I already know the easiest solution is to remove the carb spacer and install a air horn spacer, which i'll make at work. What effect will removing the carb spacer have?
should I try to find a shorter spacer, like 1/2", and use a 1/4" air horn spacer?

it's a 400 with a .509 purple shaft...blah blah blah...you all have heard it.....

Hey green 67 if the air cleaner is hitting the top of your carb (base of the air cleaner) and causing clearance problems

how's takeing the 1" space out going to give you the clearance at thre top?

maybe I'm missing something?

green67cuda said:
I already know the easiest solution is to remove the carb spacer and install an air horn spacer, which i'll make at work.

...says so right there

How about a scoop? Personally, I would try to avoid removing the spacer - a 1"wood spacer was worth 17 HP on my 340 and I've seen gains as high as 63 HP on big blocks. With a scoop being plan A, plan B would be finding a dropped air cleaner base that is clearanced for the Holley float bowls. Most of the ones I've had will give you about an inch of clearance by lowering the the air cleaner down over the carb.

the one i have is dropped...with a 3" element, the lid won't go on all the way....which also prevents the choke from opening

what i am going to have to do is use a 1/4" air horn spacer, and a 1/2" carb spacer...that'll get me 1/4" lower than i am now, and i'll still have SOME spacer....
we have some phenolic-type stuff at work...i'll make one this weekend.
i don't think a scoop is an option in my case, being a 67 with the double-humped hood....and EVENTUALLY in the future, i hope to get a fiberglass hood....but that's likely 5+ years from now.

I also have been brainstorming a setup like the holley side draft air cleaner, or something like the cover used on the carb when a centrifugal supercharger is used...then i could route the intake tube like a cold air intake setup....but i'm trying to figure out how I can make it at work.

EITHER way, i still have to drop the carb SOME....

how much clearance do i need above the air horn for it to breathe adequately? will it be ok if I make the lid JUST touch the bowl vent?

-
Back