Removing Dashtop - '66 Barracuda

-

clifftt

Reaction score
I can see five or six screws under the dashboard securing the dashtop. But the tops of the screws must be hidden under the molding on top of the dash which is pressed against the windshield. Has anyone tried removing the molding, will it distort, is it reuseable? Does the windshield need to come out?? I'd like to get this dashtop recovered. Anyone try this yet?

Are you talking about the dash pad? Or are you trying to remove the steel dash housing?

I speak of the soft dash pad. I've attached an image. The moulding at the top of the windshield covers the tops of the screws that secure the dash pad. I don't know if I can just peel the moulding away, or if I have to pull the windshield out first.

Attachments

• 66 Baracuda 046.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 176
The moulding at the top of the windshield covers the tops of the screws that secure the dash pad.

Sorry, let me rephrase that .... the moulding at the front of the dashboard, not top of the windshield.

The soft Dash pad is held on by 5 or 6 nuts, I will take a picture of the one I have off so you can get an idea how it comes out. Wouldn't mess with that rubber seal towards the front, doesn't have anything to do the the dash pad. I will get a pic a little later for you :D

Your best to remove the glove box liner and speedo bezel.You can then reach in with a small ratchet with a extension to get at the nuts.Good luck.

Sorry, let me rephrase that .... the moulding at the front of the dashboard, not top of the windshield.

That molding/windshield gasket whatever it is at the front covers the screws to remove the whole dash. I'm not sure you can get to those with the windshield in.

I haven't removed the dash on an early A but happen to have one with the windshield out currently. It looks next to impossible to get to the bolts if the windshield was in.

Your best to remove the glove box liner and speedo bezel.You can then reach in with a small ratchet with a extension to get at the nuts.Good luck.

B-I-N-G-O !! You're right! I was mistakenly looking at the dashboard mounting bolts, in which Zhandful is correct, the windshield would need to be removed to pull the whole dashboard. But I curled my neck deep enough under the dash to see the five or six palnuts holding the dash pad to the dashboard. I can reach them with a 1/4" drive. Thanks guys!

LOL curled your neck??You must be younger than I,cause I could only reach up to feel them then undo them.Glad to help

-
Back