Removing factory ac

-
Reaction score
Hey guys I’m new here and just bought my first mopar. Grew up around them but was just getting yelled at for not holding the light in the right place and never got to actually help cause I’d make it take longer or mess something up. So here I am hahaha

I want to remove the ac and all the hoses to clean up under the hood. It’s a 318 idk if that matters. Right now the ac doesn’t work and there is no belt on the ac pulleys. It looks like I can just unbolt and take the hoses from the ac to the fire wall of and be ok but I wanted to check first. I see the ac and the alternator are bolted together but was wondering if that’s just added support or if I need a different bracket? Or can I get by just using washers to fill the slack on the alternator. also the hoses that go to the fire wall when removed would I cover those holes?

Any help would be appreciated.

What year is it? Those ac parts can be worth good money to somebody looking for them. The bad news is that if you sell them, you may never find more if you want to put it back.

Hey guys I’m new here and just bought my first mopar. Grew up around them but was just getting yelled at for not holding the light in the right place and never got to actually help cause I’d make it take longer or mess something up. So here I am hahaha

I want to remove the ac and all the hoses to clean up under the hood. It’s a 318 idk if that matters. Right now the ac doesn’t work and there is no belt on the ac pulleys. It looks like I can just unbolt and take the hoses from the ac to the fire wall of and be ok but I wanted to check first. I see the ac and the alternator are bolted together but was wondering if that’s just added support or if I need a different bracket? Or can I get by just using washers to fill the slack on the alternator. also the hoses that go to the fire wall when removed would I cover those holes?

Any help would be appreciated.
How about all the times you held the light right in his eyes (unintentionally of course) and got yelled at LOL? More times than I'd like to admit as a kid. But hey, we had to start somewhere!

Assuming the system is void of freon, I would definately cap everything you remove including the fittings on the firewall. If you decide to sell the parts off, or use them later, it will be something necessary. There will be oil dispersed throughout the system so if you do not cap the parts, dust and dirt will pretty much destroy the internals or at a minimum make it a pain to clean out later.

Don't do it. You'll miss it. I love winding out first with the AC on in my Charger.

But yes, cap the evaporator with plastic caps and tape, protect the aluminum threads on all components. If you don't want them, someone will.

Leave it intact, and when you start sweating your *** off-it won't be so hard to get functioning again. You will drive your car more when it's hot out if you have AC.

The year and model are important in your decision. The old Mopar RV2 compressors are getting hard to find in rebuildable condition. JMO.

First off, welcome aboard. If you haven't already, go to the welcome wagon and introduce yourself and car and post some pictures. We like pictures.

Now, you asked for advice and here it is. Mopars are not like the old Chevys and Fords. Because there were less Mopars than other makes built, you can devalue one pretty easily. IMO, you'll end up regretting it if you just do a shotgun removal of the AC system. Mopars with AC don't grow on trees anymore and in fact, really never did. Removing the factory installed AC will devalue that car more than leaving on an inop system you can repair later. Besides all that, AC and non AC cars are completely different in how they mount accessories and run drive belts. If your accessory drive is complete NOW, leave it alone. You will be searching the world for correct brackets and pulleys to make your AC car a non AC car. In short, the car will be sittin there till you're able to find some pretty hard to find stuff. I'd leave the AC as intact as possible and even think about getting it operational.

-
Back