Removing Rear Bumper

-

GoFish

Have impressive member
Reaction score
I lent out my FSM, so can't look this up...how do you remove the rear bumper on a '71 Scamp? I'm trying to take the bumper off to get it rechromed, but can't access the 4 bumper bolts (2 on each side) at the ends to get a wrench on them.

might have to unbolt bracket that bolts to the car that is under bumper to get bumper off...

dont know if a scamp rear bumper is like a dart rear bumper...

Yes, I believe it's just like the Dart. So remove the back panel and bumper as one piece, and then I can access the bumper bolts? Sounds like a plan! Thanks.

Inside the trunk on the rear panel is the bolts you are looking for. Just stand right under the lid and look down and you will see the bolts on both sides. You can remove them without any help. Remove all of them on each side but leave one top one on each side threaded in just enough to hold the bumper so you can get your leg against the bumper and finger turn the two leftover bolts off. Then reach by the license plate area of the bumper and pull it away from the car and you are done. Its pretty basic. Do remember to unhook the wiring before you do all of this though. There are two plugs going to the wiring and the wires have a large rubber grommet on them going into the back panel leading to the bumper. There are two of these rubber grommets. After you remove the bumper from the car you can take off the mounting plates so all you have is the bumper shell. Good luck!!
Chas.

inside the trunk...is where the bolts are for the crush(?) panel or bracket is...

-
Back