Removing rust from nuts and bolts

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
Just was wondering if anyone has used a rock tumbler/vibrator to remove rust.
If so what medium do you recommend

You can soak them in vinegar overnight. It will remove surface rust. You may need to leave them in longer if they're rusted heavily. Rinse them with warm water and baking soda, then spray them with WD40

My boss is restoring a vehicle and this was his thought. I've used the other methods successfully on my 65 Barracuda. Just thought I would ask for him. Thanks for the ideas

not sure i understand, but if you have a nut you can't get off a bolt just apply heat with a small propane torch, then put wax from a candle on it. the heat will draw the wax inside the threads, she'll back right out

I got the fridge full of beer. Sat on my shop stool and got to work with my wire wheel on my bench grinder. Gave me a lot of time to think as I worked, and the results were fantastic. The threads came out sharp and clean. Every bolt went in finger tight, and I'm confident in torque specs for anywhere it counts.

My project isn't a race though..... that takes time!

I tried it a few times and was not impressed. You have to experiment with the media to get the results you want etc. In the end, it was always easier to soak in Evaporust or vinegar or remove the rust with a wire wheel or sand blaster.

The tumblers are good for polishing and not rust removal.

I got the fridge full of beer. Sat on my shop stool and got to work with my wire wheel on my bench grinder. Gave me a lot of time to think as I worked, and the results were fantastic. The threads came out sharp and clean. Every bolt went in finger tight, and I'm confident in torque specs for anywhere it counts.

My project isn't a race though..... that takes time!

I have a buddy that runs a small business prepping race bikes. He has a funny quirk about screw type hose clamps.
Before installing/reinstalling one, he always hits it with rouge and a buffing wheel to shine it up..

I have a buddy that runs a small business prepping race bikes. He has a funny quirk about screw type hose clamps.
Before installing/reinstalling one, he always hits it with rouge and a buffing wheel to shine it up..
Wow. That's even more anal than me..... If I see a rusty/ ugly clamp I will usually just replace it with a new one.

Evaaporust! Worked great for me. Bought a drivers side door latch mechanism. Came from Oregon and was pretty rusty and was not moving freely. So went & purchased evaporust. Presto!! Part came out good as new!! Just gave it a stainless spray paint (Seymour stainless paint with real stainless pigment) and sprayed all moving pivots with LPS ultimate penetrant and works like a charm!!:thumbsup:

Evaporust is an issue because of the odor. My garage is part of the house. I'm just trying to do something over the winter months so I could paint and start reassembling my car come spring
Thanks for the ideas

My garage is under the house. Evaporust is the least stanky stuff I use. Honestly I've never really noticed a scent, but I use it in a 5gal bucket with a lid.

My son has allergies and his bedroom connects to the garage. I've tried it before. Thanks

I’ve used the tumbler ran it for 24 hrs not so great results. Then I used POR metal prep spray.
That was the shizzznits!

I’ve just purchased a Lyman rotary case tumbler, the one with the stainless steel pins, no corn cob media, you simply put the bolts and small parts in, add the S/S pins, a little liquid detergent and cover with water and an hour later, look like new

I use one all the time doing Distributors, have small triangular media I use, works great in a hour.

s-l1600.jpg

Vinegar.... $3 / gal...
I just soaked a pile of bolts for a week and they come out nice... Just rinse and dry well immediately afterwards. Dont WD 40 if you plan on painting them. I wire wheel them lightly as well... Much easier after they have soaked. And vinegar makes them have a newish finish.

It always seems like a I need a bolt now, so I throw it in my sand-blast cabinet, then run a die down it.

-
Back