Removing surface rust help/question

-

HookEm

Reaction score
I've got some surface rust spots in various places that I've started taking care of. It's my first time doing any body work and I'm a bit confused as to how I should start taking the one of the front fenders down to metal.
I'm using a da sander with 80 grit and I guess my question is how should I be using the sander on an area that isn't flat?
Should I just try to use the sander at an angle and use the edge of the sanding disc, or what?
Probably sounds a bit stupid, but I'd just like to try to do it right the first time and I don't have any experience with this.
Also, just to get the areas with surface rust down to metal, I should have the spindle lock turned so the sander is in grind mode?
After I've gotten far enough down, I plan on using some naval jelly and steel wool.
Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.

Attachments

• '73 Duster Project 0531.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 228
sand with 60/80 grit down to the metal or get some rust killer. rust killer will eat it off really quick. u can use a regular hand sander as well.

The only reason I'd repair that fender is if I was on a deserted island with no chance to replace it. That one looks nasty! It would be safer, in the long run, to find a good used panel to replace it with. Deep rust can erupt again.

That fender looks like it had "light surface rust" 20 years ago before storing it in a lake! LOL

yeah, I got "surface rust" around a hole in the floor.....

I've used "Prep & etch" phosphoric acid from kleen strip used properly it works great lots of good info on it if you search. I saved a hood that I thought was scrap!! Its available at Home Depot I think for less than 20 bucks a gallon.

It does look pretty nasty, but I'm gonna try my best to get all the rust off of it.
I did hit it with the sander for a bit and used some naval jelly in some spots and it helped a little bit.
Thank y'all for all the replies.
Wanted to hit it some more with the sander and a new pad, but it's a little late and I don't wanna annoy any neighbors.

Attachments

• '73 Duster Project 010.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 135
  • '73 Duster Project 011.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 136
You can get it media blasted and it won't warp the **** out of the panel then spray epoxy on it.

-
Back