Removing undercoating

-

RogerRamRod

The Older I Get, The Faster I Was
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
First off, I didn't have a welder yet, but wanted to get started on the car. I had a lot of extra wood kicking around, so I built a rotisserie out of it. I started off with the wire wheel method, what a pain and a mess. Someone on a Porsche forum talked about using a needle scaler from Northern Tool for 20 or so dollars. What the heck, give it a try, and it was working pretty well, but very noisy, drove the neighbor crazy. When I got to the transmission hump, the undercoating was just falling off. It had been soaked in trans fluid, then sat in the garage until I started the project. The factory paint underneath was perfect, so this got me to thinking. I sprayed it down with PB blaster and let it set overnight, The next morning the undercoating came off like nothing, with putty blades, without scratching the factory paint if you are careful. Some areas needed a second helping.
I then bought the biggest bottle of Dawn I could find, and went at the underside with a few different brushes. I followed that up with a thorough cleaning with the pressure washer.
Before I get around to paint, I'm sure I will be cleaning it a few more times, so I am sorry I don't have long-term results yet for you, but this was one way to get the job done. Nothing feels greasy or oily, so I'm pretty sure everything will be fine.

Sounds like it worked good for you. Who woulda thunk it? A torch and scraper worked well for me.

I actually did it last summer, the thought of an additional heat source in the garage was the last thing on my mind.
I posted now because someone else posted a pic somewhere showing a very scratched up underside & I thought I might help someone avoid a lot of hard work creating yet more work.

Mapp gas slightly to warm it and a steel paint scrapper it will peel off like sticks of new chewing gum. Then when the bulk of it is gone use the same mapp gas and a wire wheel. two important things: I do it outside because of the crap that comes off of it. And make sure your are wearing PPE(personal protective equipment) if you do it this way you will end up with clean shiny steel..I have attached some pictures however I cannot find the undercoated side.
On a side note I used a 1 inch paint scrapper that I thinned out with a belt sander.

Good luck and this way really works

Attachments

• 0035.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 298
  • 0037.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 271
You built a rotisserie out of wood????? For reals?

Why not, I have seen guys using wood for rotisseries for truck cabs, jeep body's etc.
If you built it heavy enough one would support a gutted A-body.
Your house is made of wood right?

heat gun and a putty knife works great. you could even use a plastic putty knife if ya wanted.
I also am curious to see the wood rotisserie...

I actually saw it 1st on a Camaro forum. If anybody asks, I'll deny it!

Attachments

• Rotis1.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 208
  • Rotis2.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 206
I actually saw it 1st on a Camaro forum. If anybody asks, I'll deny it!

Attachments

• Rot1.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 205
  • Rot2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 185
It doesn't look it in the photo, but I can get through the door at 90 degrees rotation.

-
Back