Removing windsheild trim?

-

k3522

Reaction score
I bought new windsheild clips and a Y shaped trim removal tool to fix the stainless steel molding because it is pulling up where the two top halves overlap but now need some instruction so I don't trash my trim.

Do the clips snap into the outer edge or the inner (glass) edge underneath the trim? I assume I hook in under the tab and lift up and over? Do I start in a corner? Should I have a second set of hands?

The clips are held in with sheet metal screws. That molding removal tool will work but it takes a while to figure out just how it works to release the trim from the clip. I had to see an experienced body man use one before I could use it.

Hey Hey! I just witnessed the Trim Removal Trick a few days ago!

If you have the trim removal tool (Arrow shaped tool with handle), it should be pretty easy.

The trim is locked into the clips on the outsides of the window channel....position the arrow head into the trim and slide it along Left or Right until you find a clip, then gently pull toward the front of the car and gently pry up on the trim with a screwdriver or putty knife. Each clip is the same, and disengages the trim when pulled towards the glass.

Hope that helps. Here is a picture to motivate you towards your goal:
DSC07539.jpg

I'll try and post up some pictures of the clips so you can get a better idea after I get home from work.....Good Luck!

Ok here we go....this should clear things up for ALOT of people who will be in our shoes later on down the road.

Here we have the locking mechanism of the clip
DSC07541.jpg

Here is the clip from a little further back to visualize which clips we are working with:
DSC07542.jpg

Here is the trick with the tool:
TrimTrick.jpg

You have to remember that the windshield has some super duper Black Adhesive and thats why I recommended to use a pry tool such as a screwdriver or putty knife to pry upwards after releasing the clip from the trim.

Be careful and Best of Luck!!!

Prine, great info and thanks for the help. I am sure there some others that will also appreciate the pictures.

FYI, for anyone that wants a video of how to used the clip tool..

[ame="http://youtu.be/qz2b6d2diFY"]302 Found[/ame]

I know it's a corvair, same clip system

took me a little while to get the hang of it, but once I did it was a piece of cake!

-
Back