Repair broken fuel gauge

-

68BBCuda

Reaction score
I replaced the fuel gauge in my 68 barracuda with an ebay one and it's working good. My old fuel gauge didn't work and I've opened it. The fine wire that goes to the A pole is not connected to anything so I assume it has broken and is why the gauge isn't working. All other wires from the I and S poles including the coils to the pointer look good.

Anyone have a photo or wiring diagram of the inside of the fuel gauge so I can see where the A pole is connected? No point in throwing it away if I can fix it!

I wasn't aware they were marked as such. I assume "I" is ignition, "S" is sender, so "A" must be the output of the internal IVR which feeds out to the other gauges.

In order to isolate "the gauge" so you could conceivably use it with an added external IVR, you need to get the gauge itself hooked to A and S

There's an article or two on repairing these

Here's one

http://rt-eng.com/rte/index.php/RTE_Limiter_Faq

All the boards are marked the same A, I, S, whether there is a contact post at "A" or not. "I" should be considered power input. Input is adjusted/altered voltage in most cases. For this fuel gauge with internal regulator input at "I" is 12 volts. "A" is adjusted/altered voltage from the regulator to the fuel gauge. "S" is signal or sender in all cases.
The wire in nickel chromium. Solder wont stick to It. It was spot welded. The cement on top was required to reposition the wires movement away from the weld ( If the wire moved repeatedly at the weld the weld would break ). The wire has a resistance or 1.5 ohm per inch. total resistance is/was 20 ohms +/- .5 To change that resistance will change calibration. Change beyond the tolerance will go beyond the range of adjustment provided.

As Redfish says (he rebuilds these).

I did fix one (temp or fuel, I forget) by twisting thin copper wire and soldering. I doubt the solder sticks to the Ni-Cr wire, but at least holds the copper tight against it. I then soldered the copper wire to the output stud, after scraping off the pink cement. I later bought some used gages off ebay fairly cheap, so won't be repeating that task if it doesn't hold.

-
Back