Repairing A Spun Bearing Housing

-

mokid

Reaction score
Have a 68 Dart GTS, 8-3/4" rear axle. The bearing on the driver's side has 'spun' in the housing, making it larger than the OD of the bearing. The bearing fits too loosely. What's the best way to fix it? Thanks.............James

cut the end off...and weld a new end on.......that is one way

Look for a oversize bearing and turn it down the od of the bearing if the housing is not out of round.
Tony gave you the best suggestion for a the repair.

I have a couple of B-Body 8-3/4 axle housings. Am I correct in "assuming" the bearing sizes are different?

IIRC that is where the "green brg" came from,, as a repair pkg from Ma Mopar.. for that purpose..

I think the green brg runs on a diff area of the housing,, not sure,,

It is not the best solution by any means, but I have smoothed out a spun axle end and used steel shim stock to make up the spacing. The wear was even around the end, not ovaled, and not too much was worn, and the retainer plate still clamped the new bearing in well, so this jury-rigged fix worked out OK. That was in my younger, poorer days.....

Maybe a speedi - sleeve?

Use a Tolerance Ring:
home-subRings.jpg

http://usatolerancerings.com/

Thanks for all the good suggestions so far. It's going to be about a month before I get time to work on it. I may try the speedi sleeve or tolerance ring just to get it on the road. Will likely eventually have a machine shop weld on a housing from a B-body axle. 8)

Don't tolerance rings need a machined bore for a specified clearance and to hold them? Especially since there's axial loads on a wheel bearing. I've never used one, so I'm asking.

What I've done is restored a wheel bearing housing with an industrial epoxy such as Belzona. Good stuff, this ain't JBWeld and our shop has used it in restoring pumps and bearing housings. It cost me about $150 for 4oz and have a dummy plug made to the bore size so it was back to spec when the compound cured. Axle end replacement cost about the same, but I didn't have to remove the axle and find a machinist who can handle axles. Axle tube alignment and straightness end to end is critcal when changing ends or straightening.

-
Back