Repairing Thread in Transmission?

-

BrianT

Here we go again...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Someone in the past stuck too long of a bolt in my dust cover and busted a piece loose. I can still get a bolt started but am afraid to try and use it as is. What would be the best way to repair this? Epoxy, JB Weld, etc.

9C9A12D6-1BF3-4A8F-8D46-A3087D71EF47_zpsr5kac03z.jpg

Yeah, it's a dust cover bolt so it's not under a lot of tension. I was thinking I could lightly lube a 1/4-20 bolt and screw it into the damaged area and apply the repair of the top. Then back the bolt out after it's hardened?

Yeah, it's a dust cover bolt so it's not under a lot of tension. I was thinking I could lightly lube a 1/4-20 bolt and screw it into the damaged area and apply the repair of the top. Then back the bolt out after it's hardened?

Should work, just make sure the cracked area is really clean. Stuff is great. m It is like a hard clay so once it starts to set pull the bolt out to be safe.

This may sound silly but it worked for me.
I used JB weld putty stick.
Inserted the screw like you have it in the picture.
Then pressed in the putty, shaped it and slowly backed out the bolt.
Once cured it worked great.

One tip - is to make sure you clear your converter.
AlV

Should work, just make sure the cracked area is really clean. Stuff is great. m It is like a hard clay so once it starts to set pull the bolt out to be safe.

Maybe cover the bolt threads with lube or grease first so they come out easier when it dries...

Read Karl! LOL got ya......finally

I guess I am stupid. With the transmission OUT, I would have it welded and re tapped. It's aluminum. It's easy to work with. Not like it would cost a million dollars and it would be fixed so it would never. break. again.

I'm in the filling the whole cavity with weld camp, drill and tap, since you asked what the "best" way would be.

But, if I were inclined to fix it with JB or some other method, I would try and drill a couple of small holes on either side and use some small wire to bridge the gap (think re-bar in concrete) then put the bolt in and fill around it.

Let it sit long enough to dry thoroughly.

Welding would be the best option.

While I agree that welding would be the best method to repair it, it's just not cost effective. This is a 1/4-20 bolt that's sole purpose is to hold the dust shield in place. There are two more 1/4-20 bolts and also the two LARGE bolts where the braces went. It's really not necessary to even repair it, I just didn't want someone to look under there someday and say, "hey, I need to stick a bolt in that hole!" The repair will be hidden behind the dust shield, and you all are the only ones who are even going to know that it's there. I'm going to repair it today and I'll post some pics when I get done.

Well, you did say "best", lol.

I would do as I described if it were mine, and not look back. The only issue is if it will stay tightened once done. Maybe put a dab of blue locktite on it to keep it in there.

Whatever you put in there, give it ample time to cure.

You could do like the previous owner of my car did: Put the cover on, then epoxy the screw into whats left of the hole! Nobody will ever know until they try to take it apart! I did eventually fix mine the "right" way: Fill the hole and build a new hump for it out of JB Weld. Allow it cure, then drill & tap the hole.

It may not be the "best" way, but here is what I did. I went to the hardware store and bought an epoxy stick.

CCBDF8D8-BFF7-427C-B5FB-88359BFF99D8_zpszhawsbcg.jpg

Then I put a longer 1/4-20 bolt in the hole and cleaned up the area around the repair with my Dremel.

7DC956D3-AC30-44DA-8A42-1C0965CFC180_zps7uev5pcn.jpg

I cleaned the area real well with lacquer thinner and put some light lube on the bolt and screwed it back in all the way. I mixed the epoxy according to the directions and pushed it down into where the bolt is.

6F8438E0-63B1-438D-9FC7-0EF3A7E01DEE_zpsl65s2pwc.jpg

After a hour, I took some 80 grit sand paper and cleaned things up a little bit. I made sure that the bolt rotated several times while it was setting up.

4A550013-F589-4270-989A-C176C687879F_zpskpl0uyhf.jpg

And here's the finish product. No one but you and I will ever know that it was repaired.

79122044-CDAB-41DE-A492-E2C26E1AA472_zpsglvbyry7.jpg

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions. :cheers:

I couldn't make a dent in it with my fingernail after 30 minutes.

-
Back