"Repairing" Timken bearings---3rd world/ sandals (EDIT barefoot) version, o' course

-
It’s actually amazing to watch. There are a few 3rd world videos about building engines, lots of mix matching bearings, rings, rough sandpaper on a dirt floor and they actually run.. over here we stress about lint from paper towels while building a motor.

Having been a machinist and making similar parts with extremely tight tolerances I can't help but be absolutely amazed at what these people do. The one guy in sandals, "We don't need no stinkin' sandpaper, just a fresh shovel full of sand from time to time". Closest thing to a fixture at the grinder is made of wood. LOL What might their warrantee be? One day or 10 miles, whichever comes first?
I've admitted to scoring the bore in a cast rotor with center punch and hammer to prevent outer race from spinning I this forum before, and I caught some flack feedback for that. I feel absolutely no shame. Even more so after watching this video.

Last edited:
Having been a machinist and making similar parts with extremely tight tolerances I can't help but be absolutely amazed at what these people do. The one guy in sandals, "We don't need no stinin' sandpaper, just a fresh shovel full of sand from time to time". Closest thing to a fixture at the grinder is made of wood. LOL What might their warrantee be? One day or 10 miles, whichever comes first?
I've admitted to scoring the bore in a cast rotor with center punch and hammer to prevent outer race from spinning I this forum before, and I caught some flack feedback for that. I feel absolutely no shame. Even more so after watching this video.
THat is a common practice with truck spindles. Just punch some divots with a center punch and the inner race won't spin.

THat is a common practice with truck spindles. Just punch some divots with a center punch and the inner race won't spin.
I've never needed to score a spindle, only the bores in rotors.

Always great to see a society that hasn't become throw away like the lazy genx of North America.

Always great to see a society that hasn't become throw away like the lazy genx of North America.
The stupid car Tv shows and internet has taught the youth that unless it’s an 800hp motor with 20k in it don’t bother.. one of the reasons the classic car hobby is dying. I remember being a teen and having to hunt down all used crap on a budget, build the entire engine with $300, hopes and a $79 rebuild kit from the back page of Hot Rod magazine (PAW, some of you know what I’m talking about). If you did this now the modern Facebook warrior would slander you no matter how good it ran.

Yep... plate by plate. More "power" to them for recycling. Some laugh, but we could learn a LOT from them!

Definitely fascinating to watch. I like how everyone has mentioned them working in their sandals. There they sit, working right in the fumes, open flame, no ppe, hazardous chemicals out in the open. No OSHA or EPA there!!

The stupid car Tv shows and internet has taught the youth that unless it’s an 800hp motor with 20k in it don’t bother.. one of the reasons the classic car hobby is dying. I remember being a teen and having to hunt down all used crap on a budget, build the entire engine with $300, hopes and a $79 rebuild kit from the back page of Hot Rod magazine (PAW, some of you know what I’m talking about). If you did this now the modern Facebook warrior would slander you no matter how good it ran.
I still have to hunt down good used crap on a budget, and I remember PAW!

I still have to hunt down good used crap on a budget, and I remember PAW!
Oh I do too! But in modern social media it’s all about how much money you have and how much you spend, and about how money is no issue.. it’s all a big lie and the younger generations fall for it. So they would rather have nothing than be accused of being on a budget.

There's a lot of kids driving "**** boxes" around here.
That’s how we all learned how to fix cars, had not much money, wanted a car so we bought **** boxes and fixed them up. Had fun, learned something, and had wheels to drive. BOUNS

Definitely fascinating to watch. I like how everyone has mentioned them working in their sandals. There they sit, working right in the fumes, open flame, no ppe, hazardous chemicals out in the open. No OSHA or EPA there!!

OSHA is just another government money grab scenario put in place to keep those with little to no common sense from seriously hurting r killing themselves. I’ve been in Amish saw mill/pallet company near me that is like going back in time 100 years and the “situational awareness” of those guys is impressive!

OSHA is just another government money grab scenario put in place to keep those with little to no common sense from seriously hurting r killing themselves. I’ve been in Amish saw mill/pallet company near me that is like going back in time 100 years and the “situational awareness” of those guys is impressive!
Completely agree. Because I mentioned those organizations doesn't mean I support or agree with them, lol!

Safety third!!

Made in India or is it just recycled in India.
Might have found the answer to the Fram oil filter problems. lol

-
Back