replace 65 valiant 273

-

Jc Armstrong

Reaction score
i just bought 65 valiant ( been sitting 25 years ) with a 273 that i don't want to rebuild .

i have access to a 67 dodge 318 truck motor and need to know if i can use it or not ??

motor mount ears the same ?? my torque converter work ??

Yes you can use the 318, mounts will bolt right up. Your converter will work, but you MAY have to make a bushing to go in the register of the crank shaft, I don't remember what year the diameters of the converter hubs changed, they may be the same or the 318 will be larger, hence the need for a bushing. Not a big deal, done all the time.

I believe '67 was the last year for the small register, but you have to check, like jburch said. You'll need to use the oil pan and pickup from the 273...don't think truck pan's gonna fit.

I believe '67 was the last year for the small register, but you have to check, like jburch said. You'll need to use the oil pan and pickup from the 273...don't think truck pan's gonna fit.
thank you for the info

Should bolt right in 67 still has the smaller diameter snot But I would double check on the side of the block cause the 318 was introduced in 68 so block could of been made in 67. Also don't forget to use your oil filter adapter and manifolds.

i just bought 65 valiant ( been sitting 25 years ) with a 273 that i don't want to rebuild .

i have access to a 67 dodge 318 truck motor and need to know if i can use it or not ??

motor mount ears the same ?? my torque converter work ??
What are doing with the 273? And where is Leonard

I sold the OP a crank adapter bushing for the 318 engine to use the 65 Trans. To the best of my knowledge the two crank pocket sizes, were 1.81 and 1.55
He says his crank pocket is 1.77
Anyone have any insite on this?

-
Back