Replace Lower Control Arm Bushings

-

dd70340

Reaction score
My 70 340 Dart is in a body shop to be stripped and repainted. The engine and transmission were removed by lowering the K member. I thought this would be a good time to replace the lower control arm bushings but the shop said they're ok and don't need to be replaced. The upper control arms were bad and I had them replaced a few years ago. I asked the mechanic at that time about the lower control arm bushings and he said that they were ok and that they usually don't need to be replaced. Is it worth replacing the lower control arm bushings now? Can I expect them to last much longer? I know it will be more expensive if they need to be replaced after the front end is put back together.

How old are the bushings? If you don’t know and if you’ve got the front end apart, I’d get them replaced. Do some research (it’s been covered many times on this site) as I believe ploy bushings are not the same size as the rubber bushings for the LCA.

if your just going to cruise it on weekends, maybe it's ok. but why wouldn't you do it now with everything all ready apart?

I would definitely replace them sense you have it apart, the car will handle better and ride better with new bushings, If you can't find anyone to do it PM me.

Unless they are almost new, like under 2 years with hardly any miles... I would definitely change them!

They usually go bad before the uppers, but get some pics and post them.

I asked the mechanic at that time about the lower control arm bushings and he said that they were ok and that they usually don't need to be replaced.

He's thinking of something else. There's a significant amount of force on them. Replace them now.

I would do the strut rod bushings too while I was at it. The lower control arm would have to come out to do those too.

-
Back