Replaced ballast resistor started ran and died

-

F1swinger

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I replaced the Ballast Resistor in our 73 Dart, the car started I let it run while cleaning up and it quit, wont restart. I have not had a chance to dig into it yet but, kinda wondering what you all thought? Its a 1973 Dart Swinger 318.

305557931_5616769275055232_3697637298795417765_n.jpg

Good looking car. Need more info, no start? does it not crank, cranks ok no fire, cranks and tries to start but can't.

It Cranks just no spark. I was kinda leaning towards control module not that I am a GM guy but saw that happen to friends Gm's many times. Thank you for the kind comment BTW.

Were you having any problems before ballast replacement? Do you have any test equipment?

No was not having any problems before with anything, yes I do have some testing equipment.

Why did you replace it? Resistors are simple. The 2 pin you simply check for continuity, and wave/ tap/ whack it to check for intermittent. The 4 pin is exactly the same, except "the long way" you have 2 resistors in one box

For a short time you can simply jumper around the resistor to see if it's a problem.

CLIP your voltmeter on the coil + terminal and ground. Turn key to "run." You should NOT have full battery voltage, but instead should have around 6-10V

Now watch the meter and using the key, crank the engine. Now, while cranking, you should have full battery voltage and at least 10.5V or more.

Check for spark. "Rig" (or buy) a test spark gap, or make one from a plug. "rig" a wire, SOLID core, not resistor wire, and you can use low voltage wire if you keep it away from metal. Watching the gap, crank the engine using the KEY. You should have nice hot blue snappy sparks at least 3/8" long and typically longer.

If not, turn the key to "run" and separate the distributor 2 wire pickup connector. Take the engine harness end (not the distributor) and tap the bare end against ground, such as the distributor housing or other unpainted surface. Each tap should give you once single "snap" spark.

Module MUST be grounded. Undo it, clean/ scrap around the bolt holes and if possible get some start lock washers and remount. "Work" the connectors in/ out several times to scrub the terminals and "feel" for tightness. The distributor connector, especially is vulnerable because there is almost no current there.

I replaced the Ballast I just find it hard to believe it fried a new one that fast?

In general I am "down" on throwing parts and money at a problem, and "big" on testing. You can EASILY learn to do some tests to reduce the "throwing money" part.

I replaced the Ballast I just find it hard to believe it fried a new one that fast?
Maybe it DIDNT, maybe it's another problem. WHY did you replace it?

Also, on Mopars, if you leave the key in "run" and engine stopped while doing other things, the coil draws current. This is hard on coils, resistors, and modules. GM HEI is DIFFERENT. Those modules normally do NOT draw coil current with the engine stopped

I replaced it because of the Run while starting problem and I do know that if you leave the key "on" the coil draws but I don't think I left it on long enough to burn it out. Besides it was running when it quit and that's what drew my mind to the Module because I saw it so many times in GM's I guess.

Run whke starting is either...

1. The ignition switch
  2. The wiring from the ignition switch
  3. The bulkhead connectors
  4. The wiring at the ballast.
If it cranks and will not fire and you have near battery voltage to the plus side of the coil then it's something else.

If it cranks and significantly less voltage at the coil than battery voltage then the ignition switch or wiring is suspect

If in run you have about 8 volts at the coil that's normal

If in run you have less than 8 volts at the coil that's not normal

If in run you have about 0 volts at the coil that's normal

67dart273 will fill in the details

It does not Run while starting any longer, it did but I thought that was the normal Ballast problem. I replaced it and it started fine but ran for a few minutes and died. Now it wont restart.

Did you do any testing as I outlined? You cannot just stand there and look at it and "wish" it fixed.

There are several things can be wrong besides the module

DO THE TESTS I outlined. If it is not getting power to the coil, jumper power to the coil + temporarily and try it.

RE-read my earlier post, and keep this in mind.

Those of us trying to provide help, are NOT getting paid. This is a two way street. If you are going to use up our free time, the least you can do is make good use of it

Did you do any testing as I outlined? You cannot just stand there and look at it and "wish" it fixed.

There are several things can be wrong besides the module

DO THE TESTS I outlined. If it is not getting power to the coil, jumper power to the coil + temporarily and try it.

RE-read my earlier post, and keep this in mind.

Those of us trying to provide help, are NOT getting paid. This is a two way street. If you are going to use up our free time, the least you can do is make good use of it
Well I understand you cant wish it fixed and right now I cant do any tests I like most of you have a job. I understand your not getting paid, I was just looking for thoughts on any ones behalf. I'm very sorry if I bothered you or am taking anyone away from any thing.

Is the ign coil the correct coil? A low resistance [ low pri res ] could burn out the bal res & possibly also the module.

or indeed the wrong ballast resistor combined with the correct coil can burn out the igntion module...

basically using a standard coil and module the resistor should be one of 1.2- 1.4 ohm, If you use one of the 0.25, 0.5 or 0.8 ohm ones designed for the orange or chrome box. it's a recpie for reducing the life of all parts.

basically the wrong resistor rateing can be enough to tip something that was on its way out...over the edge.

the reverse... using a points ballast or a standard electronic ballast with an orange box just converts the orange box performance back closer to standard.. obviously coil primary resistance plays a part....... its a system.... coil and ballast are matched pair.

a mis match causes unforeseen outcomes either somthing gets too hot or performance is less than it should be for the money invested.

an igntion designed or a 10 second blast at 6000 rpm isn't good for 4 hours on the freeway then the 1/2 hour traffic jam getting back into town.
so the combination of igntion box coil and ballast should be matched to your application.

Dave

Last edited:
The factory coil resistor is 0.5 ohm [ points ign ]. If it has Chrys Elec ign & dual BR, the coil res is still 0.5 ohm & the ECU res is 5 ohm.

oops my bad 0.5 or 0.6 with points but the factory manuals quote this at 70-75 F and NIL AMPS flowing which makes no sense to me

well 3-4 amps flow and it get way hotter than 75F so its resistance increases

coil sees 8 to 9 volts in operation, that means ballast sees 3-4 with approx 14 volts across the system due to the alternator being ON.

so the coil provides 2/3rd of the resistance and the ballast 1/3

its a low primary resistance coil
say 1 ohm

that tallys with a ballast of say 0.5

1.5 ohm resistance in this situation would mean 9.5 amps flowing .... Bye Bye points

3 ohm total gives 4.6 amps flowing add in impeadence due to switching the coil off and on and you would be closer to the 3-4 amps specified as ok for the points

my only issue is i can't find the primary resistanace of the 8 volt coil

anyway comes down to how you specify the resistance of the ballast

but yes I agree i was wrong above on my 1.5 ohm suggestion

Dave

The resistance of the Chrys ign coil as stated in the 73-78 Motors Manual is 1.6-1.79 ohm pri/9.4-11.7k sec res for Prestolite coils. Essex coils were 1.41-1.55/8-10.2 k. All at 75*f.
Current draw was 3.0 amp engine stopped, 1.9 amp engine idling.
\

current draw was

Is the ign coil the correct coil? A low resistance [ low pri res ] could burn out the bal res & possibly also the module.
It ended up being what I thought it was, the Control Mod. I thought there is no way a 16,000 mile car that all the wiring is original and never hacked into is gonna have a wiring problem!

-
Back