Replacement dizzy

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
Im wanting to buy a new dizzy for my 71 Scamp with a 360. The one that is in there is the original. I would just like to update it but not entirely sure of what dizzy to get. I dont necessarily want a stock reman but pretty sure I dont need a pro billet style either.

Looking for suggestions on good dizzys that perform well.

Was 1971 electronic ignition? If not, I would strongly consider upgrading. Search "ready-to-run" "HEI" "distributor" "318" on ebay. Cheap and works great.

PM member Greg, "Trailbeast". He has a setup that should work with your stock electronic dizzy as I recall. I know the members that have used it were very satisfied.

MSD Ready to run are nice.No need for a ECU box it's all in the dizzy.But it would cost you around $350.00-$400.00.

I believe a 71 would still have points...as my 71 dart..71 duster still had points..

these are the one referred to about the hei on ebay

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Block-Mopar-Dodge-Chrysler-318-340-360-Complete-Electronic-Distributor-HEI-/380453707588?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5894cedf44&vxp=mtr"]Small Block Mopar Dodge Chrysler 318 340 360 Complete Electronic Distributor Hei | eBay[/ame]

I believe a 71 would still have points...as my 71 dart..71 duster still had points..

Mine was converted over to electronic before I bought the car.

The Mopar Performance dizzy are probably good enough for what you are after.

Kinda what I was thinking. I dont have a drag car, but the engine isnt stock either.

Where is the best place to buy these? Dealership?

Was 1971 electronic ignition? If not, I would strongly consider upgrading. Search "ready-to-run" "HEI" "distributor" "318" on ebay. Cheap and works great.

Any advice for most cost effective way to limit rpm with this setup?

Maybe combine with this unit?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O28622/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=348VVZX8WOTUK&coliid=I3QLYSVGH3FBTP"]MSD 5520 Street Fire Ignition with Rev Control : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

There are many, many posts on this question, so please start searching and reading instead of asking people to spoon-feed you, then not look at the links they provide. A new HEI distributor for $45 is hard to beat. Pertronix Ignitor II or III is good too, but >$100 and you want a new distributor too so add that. Same deal with TrailBeast's kit.

If the P.O. did the typical hack job of wiring in the electronic ignition, I would rip that all out and simplify your wiring. If it is neat, you might keep the Mopar ignition and change parts. Post photos of what you have to help us help you.

There are many, many posts on this question, so please start searching and reading instead of asking people to spoon-feed you, then not look at the links they provide. A new HEI distributor for $45 is hard to beat. Pertronix Ignitor II or III is good too, but >$100 and you want a new distributor too so add that. Same deal with TrailBeast's kit.

If the P.O. did the typical hack job of wiring in the electronic ignition, I would rip that all out and simplify your wiring. If it is neat, you might keep the Mopar ignition and change parts. Post photos of what you have to help us help you.

Bill, Im not asking people to spoon feed me. I thought this site was here to ask questions and for people to help each other out. I have searched other posts and other sites and have gotten info, a lot of it!. Its all over the board so whats the harm of asking again? Its not like its taking up space LOL.

I also did check out the link that you posted and Im very leary of it, seems cheap and to good to be true. I dont want to pay money for something and it crap out on me. Just my opinion. Not to mention the fact that I dont want to have to buy a set of new HEI plug wires when I have a new set on the car with only a couple hundred miles on them.

As for the harness. The PO swapped over the entire engine harness, that went with the electronic ignition, but it had toasted connections at the firewall. So I bought a new harness and replaced it. I would take some pics, but I cant at this time. Its in storage but after the holidays I may get it out to start working on some of these things I want to swap.

So at this point I have good recommendations on the MP dizzy, the FBO dizzy that they curve and phase for you, and then there is just the stock cardone refurbished dizzy. There is a place locally that curves them. Im just overall confused on what makes some of these better than others. With the exception of the billet aluminum ones, I get that part LOL. Oh and yes I do need a new dizzy. So the Ignitor II and III are not a option at this time. Mine had to many issues and its just time.

Thank you to each one of you that has posted on this. It is much appreciated!

-
Back