Replacement floor pan options for 66 Barracuda with 727 transmission.???

-

CrusherCuda

Reaction score
I'm getting back to the Cuda project and need to find a solution for full floor pan replacement in my 66. I will be running a 360/727. I may have enough original floor sections to mostly piece together a "stock" floor. But will a 67 A body floor weld in? Will a B body or C body or E body floor weld in and give more room for the 727? I don't want to reinvent the floor. I'm good with trimming back larger floors with minimal mods. I know 64 to 73 Mustangs shared floor and chassis architecture, so I was wondering if Mopar products did too? Any suggestions and experiences with this application will be a big help. I've only just started to cut my donor car in half, so I will need to find a solution soon. Thanks.

20240302_195223.jpg

Several years ago, someone on here put a new AMD floor pan for a 67 & up A body into an early A. Best I remember, they had to trim the outer edges by the rocker panels off just a little, then had to make the top of the transmission tunnel at the firewall match up. I don't remember if the tunnel fit the top of the hoop of the torsion bar crossmember exactly, but if there was a gap, you could splice a later upper hoop to your early A torsion bar Crossmember to gain a little clearance for the 727. I've put a few 727's in Early A's and it is a tight fit in the top of the crossmember!

Several years ago, someone on here put a new AMD floor pan for a 67 & up A body into an early A. Best I remember, they had to trim the outer edges by the rocker panels off just a little, then had to make the top of the transmission tunnel at the firewall match up. I don't remember if the tunnel fit the top of the hoop of the torsion bar crossmember exactly, but if there was a gap, you could splice a later upper hoop to your early A torsion bar Crossmember to gain a little clearance for the 727. I've put a few 727's in Early A's and it is a tight fit in the top of the crossmember!
I've been trying to search the 67 pan swap, but haven't found a detailed thread. I wish I could cut the floor out of the 72 Polara the engine and trans came from, but the car was hit hard and I believe its long gone. But yes, mating a different floor to the firewall was my biggest fear.

Wish I could be more help. Not sure how long ago it was posted, or by who. The guy who did it posted in great detail for a while, then just fell off the face of the earth without showing the end result. That was a shame, because it was going surprisingly well.

The only thing that usually needs to be done to get a 727 in an early A is flattening out the pinch weld and even sometimes that's not necessary.

I'm getting back to the Cuda project and need to find a solution for full floor pan replacement in my 66. I will be running a 360/727. I may have enough original floor sections to mostly piece together a "stock" floor. But will a 67 A body floor weld in? Will a B body or C body or E body floor weld in and give more room for the 727? I don't want to reinvent the floor. I'm good with trimming back larger floors with minimal mods. I know 64 to 73 Mustangs shared floor and chassis architecture, so I was wondering if Mopar products did too? Any suggestions and experiences with this application will be a big help. I've only just started to cut my donor car in half, so I will need to find a solution soon. Thanks.

View attachment 1716219633
Comparing early A bodies to the 67 and newer cars, the dimensions are very close. The biggest change in the 67 re-design was widening the front frame rails. The basic centre structure of the 66 and older cars is basically the same as the 67 and later cars. I would suspect that a Duster floor would be a close fit, and that the firewall-trans hump area would be the biggest difference, if at all. Can't say that it will fit, but I suspect it will with some mods

-
Back