Replacing 67 Cuda front wheel studs - not so easy

-

g413

Reaction score
I am having an experienced guy do the brakes on my 67 Barracuda. I was going to have all the studs changed to right hand threads. The back studs went pretty easy, and I furnished the studs that are supposed to be correct for the 10" drums. But he said they didn't fit. They were too loose.

I've done a lot more reading on this and it looks like the studs are originally put in through the hub and the brake drum, and then flared out to hold the two parts together. Now if the studs need to be removed, a cutting tool is needed to cut off the "swedge." I understand that -- NOW.

If the stud is just pounded out, the flare will enlarge the original hole -- and this is probably why the proper studs are too loose now. I drove the car home with just 4 of the original LH studs until I can get this figured out. Maybe only one hole has been enlarged.

The correct studs (7/16-20) have a knurl diameter of 0.555" There are two more options of 0.563" and 0.570." The lengths are slightly different.

1. If all the holes are enlarged, could a larger-knurl stud be installed?
2. If all the studs were properly replaced, how do they get re-flared? Or does it matter?

Maybe I should leave the front LH studs in, and not change them out.

Are Ford and Chevy front wheels made this way? Should the guy have known about the proper way to remove studs?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Probably a little difficult to measure the vacant hole with a caliper? Have you tried? For that hub/drum I think I'd buy both oversized LH studs. If necessary you can make them the same length easier before pressing in. If the smaller knurl presses in too easy go with the larger one. I would think the remaining 4 studs should keep the drum in line.

Wanting all RH studs? Shouldn't be too difficult to find another drum/hub assembly with RH studs in it already. Call a few yards in you area.

Also a lot of folks have made the disk conversion from the 10" drums and may have the parts left over in a corner of their garage (lol, like me). Both of mine are rights...................

Attachments

• 69BarrDrumArms1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 331
Can you find a right side brake drum and put it on the left?

Yes, that is the easiest way to change your studs. Lawrence

At one time Dorman cataloged a lot of different size combinations so a larger knurl with the same thread could be had. I think those item numbers are probably still in the catalog. Finding those items in stock anywhere was never easy. A lot of garages would just weld the stud head to the hub. Steel welded to cast doesn't bond really well but then it doesn't need to in some places.

As long as the stud does not spin inside the hub hole, you can use them. They may be somewhat loose, but once the lug nut is tightened down, they are not going anywhere. The ones you see welded - the weld is probably just a tack to make sure the stud stays put when the lug nuts are taken off.

I have found that all those oversize knurl studs are impossible to install, they always seem way too large to me.

Thank for all the responses. My first attempt will be to put the removed stud back in and hope it doesn't spin -- and then leave the wheel alone.

I have not tried junkyards yet. Does anyone know other cars the hub might be used on? Maybe a 67 Valiant or Dart with 10" brakes?

The front wheel studs are staked or "swaged' to hold the drum to the hub assembly. You don't really need to have the drums staked to the hubs, as the lug nuts will keep it all together.

To remove the swaged stud:

Take a grinder to the flared/swaged area on the outside/front of the drum and grind it down some.

then pound the studs out from the front to the rear.

Press in and maybe tack weld the new studs to the hub. Do not swage/stake the new studs to the drum, they will be held in place when the lug nuts are tightened.

When I bought the 68 notch, 2 lug studs at left front were spinning in the hole.
Extra hour of work to get a inflated tire under the car.

So would you like to clean up part of your garage and part with one of those hubs with right hand threads? If so, let me know how much.

BTW, the oversize knurls that I talked about are only available in RH threads.

-
Back