Replacing dual points but in stock distributor

-

markfh

Reaction score
Is there a good option to do this without drilling holes in my stock #'s matching survivor? Want to keep it original looking as possible.

Say?? whut?? You trying to MODIFY a single point dist. for dual points? Not gonna happen. There "may have been" an add on aftermarket dual point plate back in the day.

You need to sober up LOL, and take another look at this. Maybe go breakerless. Or just FIND an old Prestolite dual point dist.

Say?? whut?? You trying to MODIFY a single point dist. for dual points? Not gonna happen. There "may have been" an add on aftermarket dual point plate back in the day.

You need to sober up LOL, and take another look at this. Maybe go breakerless. Or just FIND an old Prestolite dual point dist.

Maybe you didn't understand. I HAVE a stock dual point in my 68 GTS. I'm asking if there's something I can use, that's not junk, internally in the stock distributor that will work.

Define exactly what you are trying to do just change the points?

I think he wants to do a Pertronix-style conversion.

Replace the points with something electronic without changing the outward appearance of the stock distributor or drilling holes.

Actually I am lost there is no hole drilling with that either.

Petronix unit will do it perfectly but will have tow wires that you can black heat shrink to make look almost stock. Mounts in the points screw holes. I do them a lot for customers.

I like the Petronix I myself usually around 130 on amazon. Make sure you get the right one for the distributor number.

Why getting rid of the points just curious. Remember you will need another coil and jump the ballast resistor also they need 12VDC.

The dual point is a great system I would leave it alone unless you are racing with FI. Points last 10000 miles on the average just get good old stock ones, new ones suck low spring tension and condensers have a high failure rate.

well, after reading the articles in this site, I finally got it right I call Pertronix because their Email doesn't seem to work and voiced that with my phone call, HOWEVER the sales person was nice to deal with !!! This kit does not have a magnetic stator but uses the factory points cam to trigger the module .

well no one seemed to post pics so here they are

dsc00025-jpg.jpg

dsc00026-jpg.jpg

dsc00027-jpg.jpg

dsc00028-jpg.jpg

dsc00030-jpg.jpg

dizzy2-jpg.jpg

dsc00025-jpg.jpg

Id be interested in seeing a scope read on those lobes as triggers. Id think they would be pretty sloppy as a trigger due to their shape. Probably 'good enough' but a proper toothed reluctor would be easy to slide on and not alter the original appearance.

I put those on all brands of customers cars. Points are just ridiculous at this day and age in my opinion...

-
Back