replacing my dslr camera

-

plumcrazy704406

Reaction score
Thanks to someone who needed my camera more than I did and relieved me of it along with all the goodies (about $2000.00 in total) that I had to go with it I now have to find another.

So, what's everyone using nowadays? I looked at a canon 60d today and a Nikon d7000, but didn't buy either. Have to do more research on the new stuff out there.

give me your feedback on what you use please.

Don't know what to tell you. Even the old Canon 30 and 40D's were "better cameras" than most of us are photographers

Don't get hung up on the megapixle race, nor get all excited about Nik/ versus Canon. They're both top systems.

If it were me, even though everything was gone (?) I'd lean towards the same type system I had, due to familiarity.

I am a Canon man, primarily because I also experiment with manual focus lenses, and Canon's mount system is much more favorable than Nikon for this

I wasn't going to upgrade from a 40D which I bought for the large LCD, and magified live view (for focusing with old glass) and the much better viewfinder.

THEN I happenened to find a deal on a 7D, and now have two of 'em. I STILL haven't figured out the utterly complicated menus controlling the focus options, nor do I use movie mode.

While these (7D) are capable of high def movies, they are a PITA to use, and don't have a decent onboard audio system.

I just grabbed a Canon 60d a few days ago (Wednesday) to replace my 40d. I've only taken a dozen pictures with it so far, and have yet to use the video mode.

Don't know what to tell you. Even the old Canon 30 and 40D's were "better cameras" than most of us are photographers

Don't get hung up on the megapixle race, nor get all excited about Nik/ versus Canon. They're both top systems.

If it were me, even though everything was gone (?) I'd lean towards the same type system I had, due to familiarity.

I am a Canon man, primarily because I also experiment with manual focus lenses, and Canon's mount system is much more favorable than Nikon for this

I wasn't going to upgrade from a 40D which I bought for the large LCD, and magified live view (for focusing with old glass) and the much better viewfinder.

THEN I happenened to find a deal on a 7D, and now have two of 'em. I STILL haven't figured out the utterly complicated menus controlling the focus options, nor do I use movie mode.

While these (7D) are capable of high def movies, they are a PITA to use, and don't have a decent onboard audio system.

I agree with everything said above.

The reason I went with Canon and not Nikon is because I have friends that shoot Canon and are able to assist me when I have questions, and with them being familiar, it's easy for them to help. What brand were you shooting before it got swiped? I'd stick to that brand just because you're familiar with it.

Are you wanting the very latest in technology?
My daughter has a Nikon DSLR that she bought about 2 years ago. Not sure of the model no., but I will get it if you (or anyone) that may be interested. There are also a couple different lenses and a flash attachment. I'm thinking maybe $500 as a package?
C

Are you wanting the very latest in technology?
My daughter has a Nikon DSLR that she bought about 2 years ago. Not sure of the model no., but I will get it if you (or anyone) that may be interested. There are also a couple different lenses and a flash attachment. I'm thinking maybe $500 as a package?
C

Post it up. Make sure we know the exact model number of the camera body and which lenses they are. $500 could be a pretty good price.

I got a FujiFilm S5200 a couple years ago for my model railroading photos. Probably light years behind what you want, but it does a good job.

I would go to the library and look through Consumer Reports and photography magazines.

Im dating myself, but I have an Olympus C-8080 (also a C-5050, C-5060) and I really like them. I am always on a budget and have thought time and time again about getting into the DSLR age, but I got people that say the glass on the 8080 rivals some of the better upgraded lenses for the DSLR's out there. Although its a bit slow and RAW write speeds are comical, it shoots some of the best outdoor shots. I save the 1.8 5050 for indoor church photos (no flash allowed) and the 5060 is my general purpose camera. Car shows and scenery gets the 8080. I like Oly, and the PEN is pretty cool along with some of the smaller 4/3 cameras. I agree, dont let the MP wars steer you away from one you are comfortable with. I mean 14MP+ is nice but it sure does take some disk space when every pic is HUGE.

I agree totally with 67Dart273. An old familiar tool in the hand of someone who knows how to use it is better than state-of-the-art technology in the hand of someone who doesn't know how to use it.

I'm a Canon digital bigot because it's what was given to me when I crossed over from using a Pentax film camera. I like the polycarbonate body Rebel I use for sports stuff. It's light and easy to handle. The BIOS has been hacked a couple of times and I've upgraded some of the internals. For portait, architecture, and art objects I like the 5D. It's heavy (at least compared to my Rebel-mod), complicated to learn, and pricey. But with a steady hand and an IS lens, it will produce images that can be enlarged to D-size architectural without grain. In fact I find that projectors and plotters have a hard time re-producing images as clear as the 5D records them.

For a vendor, I recommend B&H Photo in NYC. They have reviews for nearly every item they sell. You may find this helpful in your search.

Sorry for the events that are behind your search. Good luck.

This seems to be a Canon thread, but this is what she has:

Nikon D80, body only $350
With 18-135 Nikon lens $500

Also available:
Sigma 30mm (for Nikon bodies only) $350
Nikon SB-600 Flash $175

All this stuff is in excellent condition. Shipping extra.
Thanks,
C

i have the nikon d90. the newer ones that compare to it are the d3000 and d5000 i believe and are in the smaller case.. hard to say what you need or want. its all personal preference and depends on what you are doing with it.

What we had was a canon rebel xti. Entry level camera. Good camera, but the on body tools were not the easiest when shooting, but more than capable/livable for us. We are thinking to upgrade since we have no choice but to buy another! I have always taken the photos and done the sales info/sales brochures for various properties we have owned and sold. We could live with the t3i I would think, but is there better bang for the buck out there? I can read all the reports in the world on cameras, but I would prefer to hear the actual users reports on what they have and are using. Pros and cons of what you found out AFTER you bought yours.

:director:

Thanks to someone who needed my camera more than I did and relieved me of it along with all the goodies (about $2000.00 in total) that I had to go with it I now have to find another.

So, what's everyone using nowadays? I looked at a canon 60d today and a Nikon d7000, but didn't buy either. Have to do more research on the new stuff out there.

give me your feedback on what you use please.

Hi, I'm a professional photog and can possibly provide you with some input. Im a Nikon user- and very familiar with the product line. If your not a Pro or a very serious ameteur who is earning some income I would stay clear of bodies with features that will cost you huge $$ that you might never use.

You mentioned the D7000. Thats a high end unit, on the lower scale of Nikons professional body's. The D90 is also another capable unit, on the extreme high end of the ameteur scale. I wouldnt hestiate to use either for my business as a backup camera body, but lean more to the D7000. I highly recommend the D3100. It's a tiny unit, very light and you would be able to purchase some awesome Nikkor glass to take full advantage of it's resolution potential.

The d3000, d5000 are intro models to SLR. The pro's all use the d700, d300 and d300s, d3x and d3s and will set you back thousands.

Be sure to read reviews by Ken Rockwell and Thom Hogan!!!

-
Back