Replacing SBP Rotors

-
No, the front hub and rotor are two piece Kelsey-Hayes up through 1972 in stock configuration. I already have them off the car and apart, but thanks for the try. :)

I have the service manuals on CD. Not the most clear info I've seen but better than shooting in the dark.

My rotors and hibs are one piece. Pretty sure thier originals.

If you have one peice rotor and hub on a KH 4 piston set up please post a pic! Every Kelsey Hayes 4 piston set up until 1972 I have seen has been 2 peice. they look like one but once you drive out the wheel studs the hub falls right off.
73 and up were a one peice but you will also get the 4 1/2 inch pattern.

Could be your right,but they sure look one piece to me.

Might be the rust?LOL!

Any ways I'll take a pic.

LOL, yeah mine looked like that between the rust and the dirt. Just heat up the studs and pound them out with a hammer and it should fall apart. You will have to clean up and reuse the hubs as no one makes them new. The rotors can be found with some searching for about 70 bucks each.

Your right 360 Scamp! I took 2 pics. They are definitely 2 piece. I took a quick look the first time in my dim shop. Hauled one outside for a better look and a pic.

Now I must go to work. Last night shift tonight and one day off. Then back to work for training on overtime!

Gotta love that!

LOL, yeah mine looked like that between the rust and the dirt. Just heat up the studs and pound them out with a hammer and it should fall apart. You will have to clean up and reuse the hubs as no one makes them new. The rotors can be found with some searching for about 70 bucks each.

This is a great thread, lots of good info. and pictures! Keep it up!

What size(-specs-) new studs do you guys use on the K-H disc setup?
Also, do you use a spacer or any shim like washer between the hat and the bolt holes of the new rotor? The picture just above with the side rotor view appears to show a spacer between the back of the hat and the front of the bolt holes on the rotor. Does NAPA or other auto parts stores have the studs and spacers?

BTW just FYI I recall seeing a older thread in this forum that mentioned where you can buy the hubs/rotor hats new.

I found the link! These guys manufacture hubs for all kinds of vehicles, to original OEM specs. Someone used them and said the parts were perfect.

http://www.durabrake.com/

I suggest we create an archive - tech reference area posting with all the source info. for the K-H brake setup, including the rotors, the calipers, the pads, the hardware, the rotor hats, the studs, the wheel bearings, the seals, with all the specs, parts numbers and the availabilty- sources for these parts --- for future reference.

Does NAPA or other auto parts stores have the studs and spacers?

I suggest we create an archive - tech reference area posting with all the source info. for the K-H brake setup, including the rotors, the calipers, the pads, the hardware, the rotor hats, the studs, the wheel bearings, the seals, with all the specs, parts numbers and the availabilty- sources for these parts --- for future reference.

I second the motion! We all have questions and it looks as if every time someone begins this process they have to jump all over the web to get the required information. Plus - as you point out above there are still a lot of questions that appear to be mostly unanswered. Incedentally, I'm going to NAPA this morning to get a new master cylinder. I'll take my rotors along and talk to the guys about the studs/spacers etc.

BTW - There were no spacers between the hub and rotor when I disassembled mine.

On further examination I think what you are seeing as a spacer is just the raised boss around each stud. I'll get a picture of the back.

A bit blurry but I think this will help:

PICT0018.jpg

OK. So it sounds like you can get new rotors, and if you want to pay $100 each, you can get KH calipers without cores. And this place durabrake.com makes the hubs? Looks like thats everything except the spindles. So is there an outlet for them as well?

I don't think so. I think you have to find donor spindles so while you are at it you can grab the calipers and save a couple hundred bucks!

One more note:

Recent Dorman replacement studs are made in china, they are all slightly oversize and when you press them in they are so tight they may crack or bend the hub. I saw up to 20 tons and still would not seat correctly. So I milled each stud about .005 and that was all it took. They were still very tight but worked just find. I say test each stud 1st to make sure they are not to tight.

-
Back