Restoration of Tom Myl's 1968 Super Stock BO29 Hemi Barracuda

-
Here's a picture of the car when it won Indy in 2002

Attachments

• IMG_5625.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,295
Update
The Body and the floor are one with just some spot welds to finish up.

The person behind all the metal work is Mike Kilmartin. He owns a restoration shop in Wallingford CT. Mike has done a few cars for Tony in the past. Mike's work is awesome. He defiantly know's what he is doing. He just does the job right! I have seen a few of his car done. All supper nice cars!

Mike is just doing the metal work on the Barracuda.

The way Mike was able to put the one piece floor in, was because the quarter panels were stretched already(to fit the 14x32. I think that was the tire size) so Mike just cut out the work they did to stretch them(who ever did the work previously did not do a nice job). He was able to slide the outer wheel house right up and in place. Everything lined right up perfect. Tony did not want to cut the original quarts off so he had Mike piece them in. I cannot believe the job that Mike did. The craftsmanship hid did. Not only to butt weld and to grind the welds done, How straight everything came out is unbelievable. Most anybody else would had mad a mess of these quarters. They look like they never were spliced in. With everything welded in now. The funny thing is now, the doors shut better now than when it was caged.

Attachments

• IMG_5832.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,214
  • IMG_5831.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,179
  • IMG_5713.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,172
  • IMG_5712.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,194
  • IMG_5711.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1,186
  • IMG_5686.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,258
  • IMG_5619.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,207
  • IMG_5617.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,265
  • IMG_5682.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,248
more pictures

Attachments

• IMG_5843.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,199
  • IMG_5842.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,202
  • IMG_5841.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,230
  • IMG_5840.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,179
alignment of the inner panel

Spot welds on the wheel well lip. Nice to have a spot welder. Makes them look just like factory ones.

Attachments

• IMG_5719.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,187
  • IMG_5718.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,151

Spot welds on the wheel well lip. Nice to have a spot welder. Makes them just like factory ones.

Sit here with a smile on my face watching all this.
Thank You for taking the time, sharing it with us devotees...

This has got to be one of the coolest restoration threads EVER!!! Thank you for sharing and keep the updates coming!!!!

Spot welds on the wheel well lip. Nice to have a spot welder. Makes them just like factory ones.

How tough was it to get the two pieces to fit together or did it drop right in? If so, that's pretty amazing considering all the twist the body has seen over the years.

Is the restoration going to have frame connectors?

How tough was it to get the two pieces to fit together or did it drop right in? If so, that's pretty amazing considering all the twist the body has seen over the years.

Is the restoration going to have frame connectors?

For all the racing this car has bin through. When I looked it over, I was impressed with how good of shape this car is in. I have see a few of theses car over the years and most of them are beat up pretty good.
When you tube a car or when this car was tubed a lot of inside panels got cut, so that's why Mike and Tony decided to go for the one piece. The two piece went together easy or should I say Mike (the body guy) made it look easy. I am super anal, fussy, meticulous what ever you call it. I am impressed with Mikes work.

Not sure with the frame connectors yet

For all the racing this car has bin through. When I looked it over, I was impressed with how good of shape this car is in. I have see a few of theses car over the years and most of them are beat up pretty good.
When you tube a car or when this car was tubed a lot of inside panels got cut, so that's why Mike and Tony decided to go for the one piece. The two piece went together easy or should I say Mike (the body guy) made it look easy. I am super anal, fussy, meticulous what ever you call it. I am impressed with Mikes work.

Not sure with the frame connectors yet

These cars were never really budget racers. It probably had all sorts of top-notch chassis work lavished on it over the years to make it go straight and keep it solid.

Still though, seems like it all went pretty well considering how monumental the task was.

These cars were never really budget racers. It probably had all sorts of top-notch chassis work lavished on it over the years to make it go straight and keep it solid.

Still though, seems like it all went pretty well considering how monumental the task was.

All I can say is that when you lay out the money Tony did. Then take the car total apart, then cut it up and see this thing dangling on the lift. Tony said at that time the STRESS levels were so high. Everything is much better now. He is enjoying the build.

Tony has a lot more pictures showing details on a real camera. All the pictures in my post are from a cell phone camera. Thats why some did not come out so good and do not have as many taken. I would have like to show more detail. But need to save some of good shots for the magazine.

The trunk lid with previous owners signatures, what do you guys think Tony should do with it. Should he just leave the underside alone?

Attachments

• IMG_5687.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,117
The trunk lid with previous owners signatures, what do you guys think Tony should do with it. Should he just leave the underside alone?

I think he should leave that, given the cars history I think it adds to the cars story...maybe get another trunk lid for the car? Personally, I would leave it alone :glasses7:

The signatures on the deck lid help to further document the car's history. The names may not ever be world famous but when it comes to the B029, they definitely help to showcase the car's history.

How many cars will ever have the storied background of this one. The pictures with the various paint schemes are awesome! Nothing boring. Nothing mundane. - All a part of what makes this particular car so iconic.

I'd keep the trunk ON the car. It might be cool hanging on a wall, but it's way cooler on the car.

I know I am in the minority here but I think the autographs should go. If authentic is the goal, make it authentic, not sort of authentic. No one signed cars back when these cars were new or even until recently. If you go to the trouble of making it look original/authentic, why leave a modern artifact?

Get another deck lid if it's important to keep them but they don't belong on the restoration. Again, that's just me though.

Tony is going use the trunk, thats a fact. Its does no good on the wall.

I talked to Tony, I think this is what he is going to do with the trunk lid. Tape off the under side and leave it. He has talked to the other owners and I believe they all want to sign it also.

The names may not ever be world famous. "mentioned above" I would have to disagree

Tom Myl's 1967 NHRA nation champion, World record holder and in the Drag Racing Hall of Fame also sponsored by Chrysler

Rudy Schings won some national event (will get the info)

Richard Beshore Won 2002 Indy national event with this BO29 Barracuda

I will get more info on the other Owners

OK no sox and martin

My vote would be leave the original trunk lid on the car. This is a photo of my original LO23 Hemi Dart trunk or what I call my wall of fame. There's alot of very cool signatures on there I've collected over the years including Tom Hoover, Ronnie Sox, Buddy Martin, Dick Landy, Tom Coddington, Ted Spehar, Linda Vaughn, Mr Norm, Ed Miller, Don Grothier,Arlen Vanke, Bill Stiles, Herb McCandless, Judy Lilly, Butch Leal, etc. etc. there are more, since this photo was taken but you get the idea. These are the people that made these cars famous. Without them, these cars woulda been just another Dart or Barracuda.

liteweight

My vote would be leave the original trunk lid on the car. This is a photo of my original LO23 Hemi Dart trunk or what I call my wall of fame. There's alot of very cool signatures on there I've collected over the years including Tom Hoover, Ronnie Sox, Buddy Martin, Dick Landy, Tom Coddington, Ted Spehar, Linda Vaughn, Mr Norm, Ed Miller, Don Grothier,Arlen Vanke, Bill Stiles, Herb McCandless, Judy Lilly, Butch Leal, etc. etc. there are more, since this photo was taken but you get the idea. These are the people that made these cars famous. Without them, these cars woulda been just another Dart or Barracuda.

liteweight

very cool thanks for posting it.

found a couple of photos

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-25 at 5.10.07 PM.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 997
  • Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 8.07.58 PM.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 974
  • Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 8.27.22 PM.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 994
-
Back