Restoration

-
Perfect examples are these two cars My 71 Cuda was a 383 4v "real" Cuda but no numbers matched It had it all billboards , gills , road lamps , big block etc REALLY FUN TO DRIVE and since it wasn't numbers matching OR a show car I drove the hell out of it. I even drove it to the Mopar Nationals 204 miles each way. I never saw another old car on the road till I was 2 miles from the event. When did we start putting these cars on a pedestal and quit enjoying them?

The second car IS My numbers matching 70 Challenger RT "Survivor" it had 95% original paint. I drove it quite a bit BUT since it was "real" and numbers matching I was a total freak about keeping it preserved. Overall not as much fun to drive ,TOO MUCH STRESS.

Cars are fun and meant to be driven. I don't condone driving them year round (ever drive an E body in the snow?) but a little rain won't hurt them. Windshield wipers were standard equipment LOL
I have an idea of finding an ugly clapped out 68 fastback putting a big block and a 5 speed in it with modernized suspension and big brakes. I'm going to pound the crap out of it and have some fun. Slam the doors , drive it in the rain, park it an a grocery store parking lot etc Time to relive my youth when they were just cars

IMG_0843.JPG

IMG_0842.JPG

IMG_1516.JPG

IMG_1502.JPG

I thought of another person who might be able to steer you to a good shop in your general area.

Member RVA is a retired body and paint man living in PA, central PA. He is NOT taking any work but he has restored many classics and may have some ideas on who could do the work for a reasonable price.

It usually never hurts to ask ... he may not get back to you right away ... but he will .. eventually ...and he is a wealth of knowledge on these cars. Good luck !

I’m not familiar with RVA, but I’ll look for his contact info and reach out for his help/suggestions. I’m sure he has plenty of good contacts and that’s what it takes. I really appreciate your suggestion. I feel like I’m panning for gold and just had some grains of gold appear in my pan.
Thank you!

A recent lesson learned. All were out of stock except one so I ordered a rear window weatherstrip for my '68 cuda. Well all of a sudden they were out and would make me a new one but that got delayed because they were out of raw material. I ordered that in April and it just came in last week. In April it was $270, by the time it arrived it was $295! I think there are a couple of lessons here. #1= expect delays on everything. #2= the longer you wait, the more expensive it becomes.

Perfect examples are these two cars My 71 Cuda was a 383 4v "real" Cuda but no numbers matched It had it all billboards , gills , road lamps , big block etc REALLY FUN TO DRIVE and since it wasn't numbers matching OR a show car I drove the hell out of it. I even drove it to the Mopar Nationals 204 miles each way. I never saw another old car on the road till I was 2 miles from the event. When did we start putting these cars on a pedestal and quit enjoying them?

The second car IS My numbers matching 70 Challenger RT "Survivor" it had 95% original paint. I drove it quite a bit BUT since it was "real" and numbers matching I was a total freak about keeping it preserved. Overall not as much fun to drive ,TOO MUCH STRESS.

Cars are fun and meant to be driven. I don't condone driving them year round (ever drive an E body in the snow?) but a little rain won't hurt them. Windshield wipers were standard equipment LOL
I have an idea of finding an ugly clapped out 68 fastback putting a big block and a 5 speed in it with modernized suspension and big brakes. I'm going to pound the crap out of it and have some fun. Slam the doors , drive it in the rain, park it an a grocery store parking lot etc Time to relive my youth when they were just cars

View attachment 1715959435

View attachment 1715959436

View attachment 1715959441

View attachment 1715959442

Your blue Cuda is one sharp car. The color combination is spot on. I had a big smile on my face as I read your comments. I can really relate to everything you said. I know I would really enjoy sitting shot with you in any of your cars. You know how they were meant to be driven and don’t hold back.
You remind me of a friend that purchased a new ‘69 Z28 back in the day. He said “hop in, I’ll take you for a ride in my car.” We took a ride (honest) he went from 2nd gear to 4th more than once. The whole time we rode around I don’t believe the motor ever saw 3000 rpms. I said to myself as I exited his car “he should have purchased a VW.” It was the most horrific muscle car ride I ever experienced. I guess on the positive side, someone purchased a totally non abused Z28 whenever he sold it.

A recent lesson learned. All were out of stock except one so I ordered a rear window weatherstrip for my '68 cuda. Well all of a sudden they were out and would make me a new one but that got delayed because they were out of raw material. I ordered that in April and it just came in last week. In April it was $270, by the time it arrived it was $295! I think there are a couple of lessons here. #1= expect delays on everything. #2= the longer you wait, the more expensive it becomes.

Boy, isn’t that the truth!

His question was clearly "anyone recommend a reputable person/place" that negates the need for your rambling "Nattering Nabob of Negativism".

I'm sorry, 69cudaownr, I just couldn't help it.

If you encounter a restoration shop that is not registered with your state's bureau of automotive repair (most states have one; find out if he is before you agree to anything), and/or claims he is not required to register with the agency because "restoration is not auto repair", run, don't walk, out of there because he is going to take unfair advantage of you as his future piggy bank and therefore doesn't want to comply with the automotive consumer protection laws. The same if he refuses to prepare a meaningful and proper invoice that is consistent with your agreement, or if he refuses to tell you what his hourly labor rate is. The latter indicates that he is trying to impose a "specific car at a specific price" agreement (i.e., a rich guy's contract) on you against your wishes.

Watch out for when the restoration shop doesn't complete the agreed-upon work for the agreed-upon price before demanding more money. When you refuse, he might threaten to assert a mechanic's lien against your car. In most states an auto repair shop can't utilize the state mechanic's lien statute unless he is registered and in good standing with the state bureau of auto repair.

I do every thing but engine , trany rebuilds & seat covers & headliner installs. That stuff i send out. The only problem is getting parts. The "its out of stock" & " it could be a month or two" is what is killing a one man shop like mine. I live in Milton PA. Im about 1.5 hours away from Carlisle. PM me we can talk

I do every thing but engine , trany rebuilds & seat covers & headliner installs. That stuff i send out. The only problem is getting parts. The "its out of stock" & " it could be a month or two" is what is killing a one man shop like mine. I live in Milton PA. Im about 1.5 hours away from Carlisle. PM me we can talk

Thank you for contacting me!
I’ll be contacting you in the near future.

I'm sorry, 69cudaownr, I just couldn't help it.

If you encounter a restoration shop that is not registered with your state's bureau of automotive repair (most states have one; find out if he is before you agree to anything), and/or claims he is not required to register with the agency because "restoration is not auto repair", run, don't walk, out of there because he is going to take unfair advantage of you as his future piggy bank and therefore doesn't want to comply with the automotive consumer protection laws. The same if he refuses to prepare a meaningful and proper invoice that is consistent with your agreement, or if he refuses to tell you what his hourly labor rate is. The latter indicates that he is trying to impose a "specific car at a specific price" agreement (i.e., a rich guy's contract) on you against your wishes.

Watch out for when the restoration shop doesn't complete the agreed-upon work for the agreed-upon price before demanding more money. When you refuse, he might threaten to assert a mechanic's lien against your car. In most states an auto repair shop can't utilize the state mechanic's lien statute unless he is registered and in good standing with the state bureau of auto repair.
Thanks for the helpful info.

-
Back