retiring

-
That is exactly what I was thinking Mike! Get a small check, I can make 15,600 and not effect my social security. Plus, you can buy parts at a discount. That Sir, is a win-win in my book.

Mopardude62, You are so correct! But at the present, it's 28 and looks like snow should start falling most any moment. A week from now the forecast is for the low 60's. Gotta love North Carolina weather. My cars is in the garage, but my daughter and my granddaughter are asleep in the bedroom over the garage. My son from college is asleep in the bedroom in the basement next to the garage. So, I'll wait

The company I worked for found that I was thinking about retiring at 64. So they called yesterday and ask for the keys and told me I didn't fit into their current plans. So, I'm officially retired. Now if the temperature would get above freezing for a day or two, I'll get to work on my 65 Barracuda.

I hope you got some sort of severance pay or package, that does not sound legal.
By the way congrats and welcome aboard, I have been retired for just over a year and love every minute of it. Do what you want when you want and at your own pace.

No severance package. Just a call to tell me to give my keys to another employee and go home. It's all okay.

Was "removed" from the USPS at 42 years old. Biggest problem I have had is I often feel like I have lost my purpose in life...stay busy....

We had a guy at the shop a few years ago who had put his two weeks in as he was going to retire. He'd been there over 17yrs. The next day they walked him out!! Pissed a lot of people off to see that as the owner proclaims to be a family friendly company, blah blah.
Didn't even throw a party for the guy, but every time an office employee puts in their 2 week notice even if only worked a year, they let them finish and then throw a party at one of the local bar/restaurants. No kidding. Makes me sick.

ahhh - I see Tadams, that you are good with this turn of circumstance - I have been reserving comment as this kind of thing can be a happy blessing or a very unwelcome bitter pill. I have reached a point in my life whereas I am pining for retirement.. me still too daggum young. My advice sir, go go go!! Go and enjoy the hell out of it! Several people I know who have retired have answered "I highly recommend it" when I have seen them and asked "how's retirement?" As someone else said - stay busy - - and Mopar on!! CONGRATS :blob:

I have a lot of things I would like to do in this life. Finish my Barracuda, go to more car shows without having to take a vacation day. Be home with my wife and family, be more involved in church. Not in any particular order
I am ready for some me time!
Thanks for the wonderful comment. As I sit and watch the snow flurries fall, beautiful.

Retired at 60 the end of last July. Worked as a govt contractor the last 12 years. We re- located to Mesa, AZ. Didn't look back. Given that your employer laid you off I would go ahead and draw some unemployment at least until you have some longer term plans.

Thinking out loud here.
WV is also a state that can terminate at any time "but they have to show reason to the unemployment office"
Look into it, you are most likely entitled to unemployment for 6 months.
Its your money you are getting back.
The longer you wait for SS benefits the more the check will be.

the stories we can tell! I worked for Asgrow seed co. ag subsidiary of the Upjohn Co. for 11 yrs. after the 3rd year I was promoted to t he highest grade they had, had set a sales record never broken. Upjohn had been selling off their ag co. for several years, but they swore Asgrow was NOT for sale. then they started getting rid of senior reps ( senior wasn't necessary age but sales vol and increases).( I was 43 years old this was 1991. )... they were systematically getting rid of their BEST people.
if your sales were not up to par or any other reason they would fire you, if they wanted you to just go away, they put you on "probation" so that you could supposedly correct ANY problems they found with you outlined in a letter detailing such.
annual review I was on top again, then, next month i'm on "probation" with a list of total lies. the whole page of them. I write corporate, and they just say " nothing they can do." so I have a year to find another job, go away.

so I just told them I will draw my pay the next 12 months, kiss my rebel a**,,,, then draw my severance pay, which I did. worked on my cars everyday for a year and drew their pay!! I say HA!!!!!!!!! the last time I worked for " THE MAN!" ha!!!! now just sorta retired !!!!!!!

it is amazing how many similar stories I have seen since!!!!

Retired at 60 the end of last July. Worked as a govt contractor the last 12 years. We re- located to Mesa, AZ. Didn't look back. Given that your employer laid you off I would go ahead and draw some unemployment at least until you have some longer term plans.

Very good idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-
Back