Retro fit 6.1 - parts check list

-
Jason - the Aussie A Body in my sig pic.

Dave - thanks for the heads up - I'll be sourcing fresh factory fasteners for the pan swap - Knowing my luck re-using a TTY bolt it'll break ! :)

Rat Patrol said:
Jason - the Aussie A Body in my sig pic.

Dave - thanks for the heads up - I'll be sourcing fresh factory fasteners for the pan swap - Knowing my luck re-using a TTY bolt it'll break ! :)

Where are you in Australia? I was just there for two weeks. Beautiful!!
Nice looking ride!
Ever find out if we can keep power steering with those modified homemade headers?
I bolted my motor up to the k member, with stock exhaust manifolds... And there's no way itd fit..... But maybe with the angles that guy made...

SOOO glad to see someone else going through this. I'm just now getting a replacement '72 Dart Swinger (lost my original due to my ex-wife).
My plan was originally to swap in a 5.7 Hemi, but now that the 6.1 and the 6.4 are out I'm weighing the difference between them.
I'm looking also for parts, I've heard of pre-modified K-members for this swap.
I also seem to remember a magazine article where they put a 5.7 into a 70 Dart and had to get some specialty headers in order to clear the steering column?
Plan is to get the dart, then start looking for an engine/tranny out of a newer wrecked SRT8 if possible, if not I'll start looking at crate engines/transmissions.
If I ever find that magazine article I'll post it.

SOOO glad to see someone else going through this. I'm just now getting a replacement '72 Dart Swinger (lost my original due to my ex-wife).
My plan was originally to swap in a 5.7 Hemi, but now that the 6.1 and the 6.4 are out I'm weighing the difference between them.
I'm looking also for parts, I've heard of pre-modified K-members for this swap.
I also seem to remember a magazine article where they put a 5.7 into a 70 Dart and had to get some specialty headers in order to clear the steering column?
Plan is to get the dart, then start looking for an engine/tranny out of a newer wrecked SRT8 if possible, if not I'll start looking at crate engines/transmissions.
If I ever find that magazine article I'll post it.

Your pipes have different clearance issue to our right steer cars.

You guys have issues with the ps pump and the drag link from memory...

Our steering box is mounted on the frame rail (unless it's a rack) almost under the firewall on your passenger side.(our drivers side)

That's why the "tight tuck" headers are a good idea fur me - no routing of pipes past the steering box...as they are like Hot Rod shorties.

Here's a list of what I'm using for the swap in - no ignition or induction parts listed - Its not an all up list...just the main bits.

TTI Mounts $140
flex plate adapter $85
Milodon Sump (Factory sump is over K frame) $230.00
Milodon Pick up $80
Milo don dipstick $60
Milo don pan bolts (factory are too long) $15
Milodon pan gasket $45
Electric Fans from a wrecked late model Ford $250
Change radiator top outlet $100
Headers (Tight Tuck hot rod style) $600
Milodon Oil filter adapter plate (Oil filter fouls the K frame) $40

You guys rock, it's going to be a bit before I even get to the powertrain (outside of tuning the stock 318 a bit of course) but I'm going to be "bit and piecing" this so I wanted a list so I could start to pre-gather things like mounts, headers, etc so when everything's sitting in front of me I can have a really good visual to try to pre-empt any "oh crap that's not gonna fit" issues. LOL.
I'll be reading/commenting/posting as we go, glad the A-body community is so knowledgeable!

Also, is it just me or is the 392 (6.4) making you drool?

-
Back