retro hyd roller for 416 build

-
HI, just built a 416 and used the lunati 60412...made 512hp and 567tq with stock j heads ported and polished...an rpm airgap and a 750 holley with slightly bigger than stock jets!!

i have a virgin 69 340 block and x heads, we bought a scat stroker kit, air gap intake, will be bringing the block and heads in the next week or so to the shop, not sure what to do for cam, my son wants a hughes solid, but i'm considering a roller hydraulic.. comp or lunati, i checked out the big mutha thumpr also, the shop said i shop consider a roller ??

my biggest concern is the valvetrain/rocker arm/pushrod setup, i scored a brand new set of crane ductile iron rockers pretty cheap, i have banana shafts, just wondering if i need to go with a roller rocker setup with the retro hydraulic rollers or would the cranes work. I noticed the comp cams kit comes with pushrods but they appear to ball/ball.. i would need ball/cup right ?

any chance you have a video/sound clip of your combo ?

I don't unfortunately, but I can tell you I had to hog out the push rod holes to make it work. I also had to have Smith brothers make me push rods. I used 1.5 roller rockers, have a new set of 1.6 ready to go on. I used the lunati roller lifters. The stroker kit came from Scat. It all worked!

HI, just built a 416 and used the lunati 60412...made 512hp and 567tq with stock j heads ported and polished...an rpm airgap and a 750 holley with slightly bigger than stock jets!!

I'd like to see the sheet for this one.

And yes with the roller rockers you have to use ball and cup style.

Not 100% true, it all depends on who makes the rocker arms. My comp pro mags are a ball/ball setup

As far as your cam goes just make sure it has a cast iron gear on it.

Tell me how to post it and I will.....No BS on this one it amazed more than one person including the dyno owner and the engine shop owner.

scan or take a pics and attach it as long as it's not too big. Or upload it to photobucket and link it.

I like those cam specs for use with my Edelbrock heads. I wonder if those lifters work right. (Thinking of pastissues with members and there "Retro fit roller cams")

I heard good things about the Voo doo line of cams, but you're right, it would be nice to hear from someone who has used their lifters.

they are probably the exact same ones Hughes uses just sold by a different company.

What's the reputation on Lunati's stuff? I'm still kicking around the valvetrain upgrade on my stroker and doing my research. (Amongst all the other projects I got going).

Very very good.

Brian at Imm worked with Comp Cams on a lifter. I do think he would be the one to contact on this issue.

Look up the screen name, OU812.

I'm on the pic of the Dyno sheet I will try to upload it later tonight...also we had no problems with the lunati roller lifters

Did you have an older "LA" block with short lifter bosses? This was the earlier problem with a members buiuld. I do not remember what lifters he had.IIRC, they were Crane retro hyd.lifters. The oil band popped out of the boss and gavethe engine a low oil pressure reading.

Hey Crackedback the dyno sheet is at my shop....I will post it Monday..I promise :)

thats what i was thinking, from other research i have done the oil hole/ring or whatever it's called has been machined lower to help the bushing issue,
comp's k-kit which is a couple hundred more includes pushrods but they are ball/ball from what i have seen. if memory serves me right they are 7620 pushrods.

i'm hoping brian will chime in, i had problems with comp stuff in the past but i'm still considering them, i'm just thinking of going the roller route to avoid the whole zinc oil / wiping cam lobe issue

-
Back