Reuse Head Gasket??

-

blackace

The KING of flats
Reaction score
I was just about done putting my engine together and went to go paint it and screwed a plug in one of the plug holes of on the set of 302 heads and found it it was cross threaded. I took the head to the machine shop now the question is can I resue the head gasket or do I have to buy a new one. The engine was never started but the heads were torqued down.

blackace said:
I was just about done putting my engine together and went to go paint it and screwed a plug in one of the plug holes of on the set of 302 heads and found it it was cross threaded. I took the head to the machine shop now the question is can I resue the head gasket or do I have to buy a new one. The engine was never started but the heads were torqued down.

Not 100% sure blackace, but if torqued down I would...better to be save. I know I would...Just the thought of ripping it "all" down again "sickning"

If you used Cometic or any other MLS style gasket, you may get away with re-using it if you spray it down with one of the many brands of copper coat sealant, but it's still a maybe. If you used a standard "composite" construction gasket, it will leak. :sad:

No problem reuse it, as it had no heat so the texture is still intact, as is the sealing.

BJR Racing said:
No problem reuse it, as it had no heat so the texture is still intact, as is the sealing.

Thanks!!!

Thats what I was thinking but I wasn't sure!

BJR Racing said:

And if it leaks...drop by BJR Racing, (Joking) :lol: :lol:

No problem come by anytime,

Fel-Pro wont tell you but there gaskets are reuseable as long as there isn't any tearing in the gasket, and if so then replace it.
I have reused a used gasket many times, and no leaks, I guess I have better luck than others. Machining accounts for alot, but I do all my machining.

BJR Racing said:

Fel-Pro wont tell you but there gaskets are reuseable as long as there isn't any tearing in the gasket, and if so then replace it.
I have reused a used gasket many times, and no leaks, I guess I have better luck than others. Machining accounts for alot, but I do all my machining.

I was only joking with you BJR..With my luck..."I" would have problems...just because period! I'm very sure you know 100% + what your talking about on this stuff. To me I've learned theres just nothing worst then going backwards.

Cheers mate :angel9:

BJR Racing said:

Flat surfaces are key! I'm like Signet though, I've never re-used one as the thought of a leak freaks me out.

I have..Like BJR says..if they dont get hot, the sealer stuff doesnt flow out and stick it all together. If the surfaces are smooth enough, you can reuse them. The Fel Pro reps exact words were "If you guys are getting the smoothness for MLS gaskets, the Fel Pros will be fine. The smoother it is, the better they will seal...and if you're careful, you can re-use them." That was last fall when the shop was asking about an Oldsmobile issue.

Excellent information! I can't wait to try this out on someone else's car. LOL! Just kidding! If you guys have done it and Fel-Pro says its good, it must be fine.

ramcharger said:
Excellent information! I can't wait to try this out on someone else's car. LOL! Just kidding! If you guys have done it and Fel-Pro says its good, it must be fine.

Funny!! So Blackace, you will let us know how things work out "right" :lol:

Like BJR said because the gasket hasn't been heat cycled it will most likely (99.9%) be fine, but head gaskets are cheap compaired to the trouble of having to replace it in the car if it doesn't seal. If it were me I would put a new gasket in it because I am not a gambling man and seem to have rotten luck at this kind of thing, but that's just me.

Chuck

hi, the felpro blue gaskets can be reused, if not ran. I've done it ,and never had a problem. the felpro blue intakes can also be reused.

-
Back