Review Mirror Variations?

-

Mattax

Just the facts, ma'am
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is there an overview of the different rearview mirrors used on the a-bodies?
The mirror on my '67 Barracuda notch is all metal, with sortof a brushed finish, and a chrome metal night-day switch. The bracket and stem are chromed. I've seen later mirrors with a black (safety?) surrounding the glass.

Two things seem unique, perhaps to '67(?). The first is the length of the stem is 4.5" from the ball to the mirror mount. Thats longer than what I've seen mentioned for later mirrors. Also, the mirror is slightly convex, occassionally giving a fun house appearence to whatever is in the mirror. I rarely notice it anymore, but when I first got the car, it was odd. The position of the mirror (due to the long stem) I still find annoying.
8399778-67Bcuda-rear-viewIMGP0063.JPG

(PS. yes, I've put a new tip on the visor. Were they all gray or dyed to match the interior color?)

Th reason the stem is so long is so that the visor doesn't hit the mirror when you flip the visor down. Otherwise Mopar could have made the stem shorter giving you a better view. I shortened mine since I never use my visors.

Treblig

I put that original 67 mirror on a shelf and installed a later model black back mirror.
Looks better inside and out in my opinion.

Here's mine.
'69 Fastback Barracuda....
treblig

Attachments

• DSC04212.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC04213.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC04214.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC04215.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 193
I think the '67 mirror and the bracket-stem assemblies are one year only; or possibly variations even within the model year?

I've never noticed a difference in visors, although I'll grant that possibility.

Unfortunately I don't have a '67 parts book to reference. For '67 might also need the supplement if the Barracudas got something different than other A bodies.
Here's what I've pulled off the net and from the Plymouth '68 book (which I have).

Inside rearview Prismatic Mirror
1968-1969 2935 490 (All models)
1970-1971 3454 875 (All models)

I can add that the mirror on a '69 Plymouth Belvidere my family bought new had textured black (rubber or plastic?) trim.

Bracket and Shaft
1967 Chrome finish
1968 2945 694 painted ? (VBDWR) A & B-bodies except convertables

1969 2945 208 painted? (VBDWR) A & B Bodies except convertibles and optioned B.

1970 First year for cylindrical post ?

I wish XV still sold those back up camera mirrors for the A bodies

My mirror stem measures 3 3/4 inches from the bottom of the mount to the very bottom of the stem, mine were painted, I took it down to repaint and found out they were aluminum, I sanded off the paint and polished mine,

Attachments

• S2010403.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 199
  • S2010404.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 140
I don't have any clear pics, but each 67 Barracuda I had/have, uses a black "push button", markded with white letters, for day/night mirror.

Attachments

• interior 001.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 172
Thanks for adding to the pool of info. That's interesting that your '67s have had the black push switch, where mine has the lever. Maybe we can come up with a pattern.

all 67 Darts I have or have seen had the Day Night push button, all aluminum backed.

I looked in 66 67 and 68 parts books, all 3 have different parts numbers for the mirror.

67 the same mirror is called out for all car lines except station wagon

Last edited:
-
Back