Reviving a 360

-
I think that tranny is an NP435
You can make that tranny fit your car by cutting the floor up pretty bad.And the rear crossmember. I think the shifter will come up through the dash and end up close to the mirror.
The ratios in it are for a grain truck. It has an un-synchronized granny gear in it that is somewhere between 6:1 and 10:1 IIRC. It is an agonizingly slow shifting unit, cuz the guts, like the case weigh about double of an A833. The splits in it are for a truck. It is a truck tranny.
The pressure plate is an 11 inch tank of a thing, suitable for low rpm operation and towing stuff. IIRC the bellhouse is cast iron. The tail on it may still have remnants of a parking brake on it, and you can bolt a PTO on the side and use it to operate any hydraulics you have in mind. The M/S weighs about as much as my wife did when I met her. But that's OK it's only about a foot and a half long.
If you need help rebuilding it call me, I have built hundreds of those. Many hundreds.

In the unlikely event that it is an A833.........SCORE!

I think it would be cool to have the shifter come through the dash and end up at the mirror. It would be unique.

And if you want it shift a bit easier, slick shift, or better yet face plate that maternal fornicate. That would be real cool!

I think that tranny is an NP435
You can make that tranny fit your car by cutting the floor up pretty bad.And the rear crossmember. I think the shifter will come up through the dash and end up close to the mirror.
The ratios in it are for a grain truck. It has an un-synchronized granny gear in it that is somewhere between 6:1 and 10:1 IIRC. It is an agonizingly slow shifting unit, cuz the guts, like the case weigh about double of an A833. The splits in it are for a truck. It is a truck tranny.
The pressure plate is an 11 inch tank of a thing, suitable for low rpm operation and towing stuff. IIRC the bellhouse is cast iron. The tail on it may still have remnants of a parking brake on it, and you can bolt a PTO on the side and use it to operate any hydraulics you have in mind. The M/S weighs about as much as my wife did when I met her. But that's OK it's only about a foot and a half long.
If you need help rebuilding it call me, I have built hundreds of those. Many hundreds.

In the unlikely event that it is an A833.........SCORE!

How can I differentiate between the two? Also since it is going in my car do you think the gearinwould be good? I imagine it will just be a very torquey vehicle

Update-
Spent some time working to get it running before I pull it and man is the wiring a mess! I got it to turn over and it sounded good so now working on the ignition. Hopefully I can get some more time to work on it here soon between school and work.

The NP has a top mounted shifter,an internal shift mech, with a long almost straight,round, non-chromed stick, on it.And it has PTO covers on it. And you will need a floorjack to take it down. I'm pretty sure one of those pushes 200 pounds, dry!
The A833 has a side cover, and external shift rods, and a short chromed stick that has about 2 kinks in it, and is usually also round section. You can take this tranny down yourself; they are only about 135pounds recently drained. And no PTO covers.
if you cut your car up to accept an NP235 I would like to be the first in line to call you a bad word,lol.
The ratios are terrible. IIRC they are 6.68-3.34-1.66-1.00.That 6.68 is for the huge tires that are normally on the trucks that these come in, and are designed to work on soft ground, pulling a heavy load. Your car will be revved right out in just a few feet. The 3.34 is normally used as a first gear on hard ground and unloaded. The other 2 are all right for a lo-po engine.

If it ends up that the tranny is an NP435, you will need something else. At that point you have many options. Try to marry your engines needs with the proper tranny.Don't just bolt something on and go.That is a sure recipe for disappointment.

Last edited:
The ratios are terrible. IIRC they are 6.68-3.34-1.66-1.00.
Affirmative on the terrible ratios. As a point of comparison, a good racing close ration trannie will typically have a 1st gear ratio in the low 2 range.... 6.68 is for a logging truck LOL

And a good streeter's tranny might have a 3.09-1.91-1.39-1.00-.78od ratios, lol,like mine. heehee
A lo-rpm engine or a hi-torque engine, can get away with 3.09-1.67-1.00-.73od
And just about everybody else can use 2.66-1.92-1.40-1.00

BTW
There are several other NP 435 ratios, I picked the grain-truck ratio.
Another Dodge ratio is 4.56-2.28-1.31-1.00 This would be better but that first gear is still unsynchronized, and
for a streeter
That first gear would like a 2.21 rear gear to be useful.
The second gear would like a 2.94 rear gear.
The third gear would like a 3.73 rear gear
And direct 4th would like 3.55s
So, you can see the problems right there.The ratios are just too far apart, and too oddly staggered, for a performance application.
And we haven't even talked about the size of those gears or how heavy they are, and the fact that they have synchronizers assemblies designed to work at low rpms and in heavy haulers.
One site I visited said they are only 135 pounds light. I guess I wasn't as strong as I thought in 1983,age 30,lol I used to throw those up and down 4 times a day every day. I wouldda sworn they were a LOT heavier,lol.

Last edited:
well I looked at the trans and it wont work for my car but thats a problem for someother day lol. I am thinking about just buying a whole new ignition system. Mainly so i know I can rely on it because the one in it now is the original one and i can't get any spark. I was thinking about using this Mopar Parts | MN1113 | 1964-76 Mopar Small Block Electronic Ignition Conversion Kit | Classic Industries from classic industries. has anyone had any success with it or think it will or wont be good? or do you think I should just pony up and get a MSD?

Ignition-wise,what's on it now?
The MSD was too rich for me.
I have had very good success with the magnetic pick-up dizzy.
And the Accell Super coil, the big sq top, I think is indestructible.
That just leaves the amp. Or ECU as Mopar calls theirs. There is a FABO member here that can make you a nice amp. It has been well-received here. I think it's Trailbeast.

Last edited:
-
Back