RHS flow #'s

-

Brian Hafliger

Reaction score
Some guys were asking me what the RHS heads we sell flow so here are the #'s....
Lift Int. Ex.
100 69 58
200 141 119
300 197 161
400 241 184
500 267 193
550 271 195
600 int. port goes turbulent

What that means is even though it goes turbulent, with an intake on it pulled to .600 lift so lifting the valve to .600 will still net you more HP.

This test used a 4.030 bore and test pressure of 28".
Ex. side I used a 1 3/4 pipe and as you can see, it's damn good OOTB!

What is the combustion Chamber volume on these heads, and what is the the purchase price on a set with these #'s? I may be looking for a set on a new build.

What is the combustion Chamber volume on these heads, and what is the the purchase price on a set with these #'s? I may be looking for a set on a new build.

I sell them from 62cc to 67cc depending on what the customer needs. They sell for 1295.00 plus shipping.

I sell them from 62cc to 67cc depending on what the customer needs. They sell for 1295.00 plus shipping.

Are these with stock valves & no port work? I'm surprized at that 270/195 in stock trim or OOTB.

Are these with stock valves & no port work? I'm surprized at that 270/195 in stock trim or OOTB.

They are the way we sell them which is 2.02x1.60 8mm Ferrea 6000 series valves, Comp 26918 beehive spring package, and the bottom cut of the valve job is blended to the casting on the intake. The intake valve is backcut also.
We do the valve job, and suface cut plus machine the spring pads and guides for .600 lift.
Yes these are a very fair bargain indeed!!
And yes those #'s are not inflated at all. I double checked on 2 different heads and one head flowed those #'s and the other was within 1% across the board!
We'll see how much they make in this form on a nice 408 pump gas deal by the end of the week.
I'll post some dyno #'s. We're trying a few different combo's to see where the power can be shifted to or not to...LOL!

Are these heads ready to bolt on? Surfaced, valve seals, retainers...everything n such?
Or does my machine shop have to re-work them once they are bought?

They are the way we sell them which is 2.02x1.60 8mm Ferrea 6000 series valves, Comp 26918 beehive spring package, and the bottom cut of the valve job is blended to the casting on the intake. The intake valve is backcut also.
We do the valve job, and suface cut plus machine the spring pads and guides for .600 lift.
And yes those #'s are not inflated at all. I double checked on 2 different heads and one head flowed those #'s and the other was within 1% across the board!
We'll see how much they make in this form on a nice 408 pump gas deal by the end of the week.
I'll post some dyno #'s. We're trying a few different combo's to see where the power can be shifted to or not to...LOL!

Ok, i just got thrown from your OOTB statement, cuz i know they don't flow that without tinkering, but i'm not at all surprized at those #s with what you've done, i bought mine from Hughes about 3 months ago for 875.00, they cleaned them up & put on there springs, these flow about 241 with the 1.92 valve, i really like the RHS heads, IMO they have great potential, but are still very nice & flow decent in stock form, plus the price is right.

Are these heads ready to bolt on? Surfaced, valve seals, retainers...everything n such?
Or does my machine shop have to re-work them once they are bought?

Look at all the things we do to them! They are ready to truly bolt on. I even tape off the deck so no machining dust or particles can get into the spring area where there is some assembly lube.
You can check them out for sure, but they are meant to be bolted on and run.

Man I wish I'd have waited for heads. I bought a set of Hughes Iron Rams 1-1/2 yrs. ago and they are stock bowls but do have 2.02 valves installed with their VJ. They have stainless valves but no retainers, springs or locks. Price $1025. At the time it seemed a decent price but not so now after seeing this.

I was looking for cylinder heads upon my 68' 340 rebuild. Are the comp cam beehive springs durable enough for a lunati 60403 cam? Are these bronze valve guides? Regardless price looks great.

Brian do you have an idea what causes the intake port to go turbulent at .600? Just curious because the X heads I home ported went turbulent at .600 also and I didn't know what to do about it. I'm only running a .513 lift cam so it wasn't any big deal but I always wondered about it.

yep a flow PIPE does wonders for the exh #'s, wish I used one on my J heads for comparison.

So these are 'as you sell sell them' specs and prices, good deal.

I was looking for cylinder heads upon my 68' 340 rebuild. Are the comp cam beehive springs durable enough for a lunati 60403 cam? Are these bronze valve guides? Regardless price looks great.

I need spec's on cam but these are what MadDart used with his solid Hughes cam [email protected] with .610 lift roughly.
They'll work in the 6800rpm range with most any hyd., hyd. roller, or solid FT cam out there.
Guides are honed from the original guide hole so they are castiron, not guides installed.

Brian do you have an idea what causes the intake port to go turbulent at .600? Just curious because the X heads I home ported went turbulent at .600 also and I didn't know what to do about it. I'm only running a .513 lift cam so it wasn't any big deal but I always wondered about it.

Port Speed!!!! The air speed at .500 is high with no pushrod pinch porting, so it will kill top end HP at a certain point.

60403 Details

Voodoo™; Camshaft; Hyd.Flat Tappet; RPM 1800-6200; Adv. Dur. 268 Int./276 Exh.; Valve Lift .494 Int./.513 Exh.; Lobe Angle 110 Deg.;

if you can give any input that'd be great.

No problem with that cam. I would run 1.6 ratio if you don't already have the rockers.

Forgot to mention that. Any reason for a 1.6? I read that RHS dosent accept stck type valvetrain. Recommend any kits?

Forgot to mention that. Any reason for a 1.6? I read that RHS dosent accept stck type valvetrain. Recommend any kits?

We use either Comp's (which you can only get in a 1.5 ;-( or Hughes which work perfectly and cost is good at 440.00 plus 85.00 for their hold down kit.

How would an un-ported pair of these heads work on a stock-stroke 318 with maybe 10:1 comp. and a Voodoo 60401 cam? I was thinking of 1.6 rockers on the intakes but leaving the exhausts at 1.5 because the cam is already dual-pattern and the exhaust ports flow so well. Here are the cam specs:

# Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 256/262
# Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 213/220
# Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .454/.475
# LSA/ICL: 112/108
# Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
# RPM Range: 1000-5500

Also what intake would work best for this combo? I'll probably be running 2.94 or 3.23 gears and gas mileage is a concern, would a Performer-level intake work towards that or would it be too restrictive for these heads in the upper RPM ranges?

How does the Edelbrock heads compare out of the box? I also understand you are lucky if you can truly bolt on a set of these, without doing some work to them.
T.J.

The RHS heads are sold bare. So you cant run them out of the box... Also, There are two versions: LA-X has LA rocker stands machined in. MA-X has Magnum rocker setup. Same ports in both.

How would an un-ported pair of these heads work on a stock-stroke 318 with maybe 10:1 comp. and a Voodoo 60401 cam? I was thinking of 1.6 rockers on the intakes but leaving the exhausts at 1.5 because the cam is already dual-pattern and the exhaust ports flow so well. Here are the cam specs:

# Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 256/262
# Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 213/220
# Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .454/.475
# LSA/ICL: 112/108
# Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
# RPM Range: 1000-5500

Also what intake would work best for this combo? I'll probably be running 2.94 or 3.23 gears and gas mileage is a concern, would a Performer-level intake work towards that or would it be too restrictive for these heads in the upper RPM ranges?

The way we sell them is unported. We just blend the valve job into the bowl which takes about 2-3min. per bowl. It makes a big difference in flow so that's why we do it.
These heads will rip on a 318! If your running full exhaust system, just use 1.6 on both.
Brian

-
Back