RHS pump gas 360

-

Brian Hafliger

Reaction score
We just built and dyno'd a 360 last week for a friend of mine who's a fireman locally.
I know there's some guys out there wanting to know how well the RHS heads we sell work on a typical 360 so I'm posting this for them.
Stock 360 block .040 over
stock rods with arp bolts and resized
KB 107's
balanced
IMM RHS heads, no porting
comp is 10:1
comp 275HL cam on 112 lca advanced 2°
stock pan
PRW 1.6 rockers
rpm airgap
Holley 750DP
1" open spacer
TTI 1 5/8 step headers
The carb is perfect OOTB with this combo. Witout the spacer it's a bit rich. Best timing was at 33° the day we tested it. It idled good at 900-950rpm and ran just fine on pump gas.

Attachments

• RHS 360 dyno graph_0001.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 2,357
  • RHS 360 dyno graph_0002.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 2,021
Here's a better look. The corrected #'s are with spacer, the other #'s are uncorrected. The temp in the cell was 102°!

Attachments

• RHS 360 dyno graph_0003.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 1,890
O ok I got you now. Sorry thought that was strange. Don'tknow how to read them. LOL

Yikes! Ya that is hot. I can see why it gave up so much. Still 393 HP in that heat is still good.

Thats is some good # on a very mild build. Thanks for sharing.

So the spacer added almost 30 HP and 40 lb of torque ? If so would this spacer add that kind of HP to any build ?

So the spacer added almost 30 HP and 40 lb of torque ? If so would this spacer add that kind of HP to any build ?

No the difference is uncorrected #'s vs. corrected #'s. All dyno runs on this engine had the open spacer on it.

i may be wrong ...but it should be correcting the air temp...baro and other atmospheric conditions from the actual to a standard conditions for comparison .....

so an engine run in denver Colorado on a dyno can be compared to a engine run in Death Valley....

Yes exactly. The dyno software uses a correction factor by sampling the air the engine breathes by way of a weather station similar to what you'd use in bracket racing. The software then takes the actual HP and TQ the engine makes (the columns without the C before HP and TQ) and corrects the power #'s against a known standard that's built into the software.
This is where it gets fun...Superflow uses they're own CF while DTS uses the standard set forth by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). In comparison, the superflow CF can be as much as 4% higher than the SAE CF that DTS uses. Lots of abbreviations I know...

The reason for a CF is so that any changes in atmospheric conditions while your dyno testing throughout the day don't skew your testing.

When I first got the dyno up and ready, I pulled the engine out of my Duster to see how much power it was making at the time since I already knew what the car runs. This allowed me to know just how much power is needed to make a 3300lb car go 10's. It was nice to see it only made 529HP at the time which I would say is about right for running 10.70's at 125mph.
So comparing engines that have been built differently and run on different dyno's is pretty useless for the most part IMO. Using the dyno for tuning, testing, break-in, and learning to me are the real reasons for dyno testing.
Brian

Yes exactly. The dyno software uses a correction factor by sampling the air the engine breathes by way of a weather station similar to what you'd use in bracket racing. The software then takes the actual HP and TQ the engine makes (the columns without the C before HP and TQ) and corrects the power #'s against a known standard that's built into the software.
This is where it gets fun...Superflow uses they're own CF while DTS uses the standard set forth by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). In comparison, the superflow CF can be as much as 4% higher than the SAE CF that DTS uses. Lots of abbreviations I know...

The reason for a CF is so that any changes in atmospheric conditions while your dyno testing throughout the day don't skew your testing.

When I first got the dyno up and ready, I pulled the engine out of my Duster to see how much power it was making at the time since I already knew what the car runs. This allowed me to know just how much power is needed to make a 3300lb car go 10's. It was nice to see it only made 529HP at the time which I would say is about right for running 10.70's at 125mph.
So comparing engines that have been built differently and run on different dyno's is pretty useless for the most part IMO. Using the dyno for tuning, testing, break-in, and learning to me are the real reasons for dyno testing.
Brian

ahh so 529 would go 10.7 at 125.. I LOVE IT! lol:burnout:

I guess the CF is also the reason why we don't race dynos...no atmospheric corrections at the track - unless you do them yourself.

That said - 395 HP speaks volumes for those heads - the cam is hardly "big time".

I guess the engine was pretty "tight" also?

Yup those RHS heads are pretty good. We us them fairly regular now, and have had great results like Brian has. On a stroker 408 they will make 450+hp right out of the box. Heck our 340 made 515hp with just a valve upgrade and TTi headers and 473hp with Hooker headers.

Nice work on the 360

Yup those RHS heads are pretty good. We us them fairly regular now, and have had great results like Brian has. On a stroker 408 they will make 450+hp right out of the box. Heck our 340 made 515hp with just a valve upgrade and TTi headers and 473hp with Hooker headers.

Nice work on the 360

Thanks! It's a pretty damn good cylinder head for the $$$. It's too bad some guys knock anything new in the Mopar world because you know we need new parts!!

Was that 340 in a competition?

Brian, what's the overall valve lift with the -HL high lift cam and the 1.6 rockers?

What affect would removing the 1" carb spacer have on everything? I don't think that will fit under a stock hood.

Brian, what's the overall valve lift with the -HL high lift cam and the 1.6 rockers?

What affect would removing the 1" carb spacer have on everything? I don't think that will fit under a stock hood.

Even with a 1in drop plate? Friend ran one with his carb and drop plate on his duster.

It fits with a drop base air cleaner. Lift at the valve is about .545.

Sorry, brain farted on the drop base air cleaners.

-
Back