Ridiculous price for a 72 Plymouth Duster

-

340dartley

Reaction score
So my wife and I were driving through town and I saw a green duster for sale. Let me back the story up a bit. I live in a small town and a couple months ago there was a green 1972 Plymouth Duster for sale on a local Facebook classified page. It was fairly strait and ok paint. It had a 4bbl carb on the slant 6 and was mostly stock other than that. It was rough and needed lots of work but did run. The owner wanted 1500 or so if my memory serves me. I had my spare money tied up in other projects so couldn't make the purchase. A week later my son starts looking for his first car and had 1500 to spend . I searched the Internet for it and couldn't find it. He eventually got a really nice Mustang.

So today I seem the same duster for sale on the corner. I figure maybe I can come up with the 1500 or what ever and go look at it. 10000 is now the price. I found it on Craigslist and YouTube. It wouldn't be with 10k if it was factory 340 4speed car in the condition it is in. I don't know why it bugged me but here is the add. 1972 Plymouth Duster /w classic slant six rebuilt new

I agree. I could even justify 2k. If it was perfect inside and out. I would think 8k would be high end of realistic. It is a slant 6 duster for Pete's sake. He did not rebuild the motor. It appears he replaced the intake and exhaust manifolds and did a tune up.

I believe that when I saw the car for sale before someone else did buy it. Now that person is trying to flip it and make 10 times their money.

Simple solution. Don't buy it and move on.

Offer him 1500 and give him your phone number...tell him to call ya went the price gets there...

that would have been an absolute steal at 15 bills.

looks like a flipper beat you out. They come and go, there will be more.

people think good deals are all gone but they still come up.

At the new price it will sit there a long time, until the barrett jackass syndrome subsides.

I paid less than that (in cad) for a 72 scamp with a 400 horse 340. Body is in about same shape, interior in much better shape.

I would buy that all day for 1500 though. Good big block car.

my '75 Gold-Duster is worth 15 G's any day 'cause it came with a 'teener AND factory air, haha haters!

If you really want it, tell him you'll give him 2300, and that should allow him to make 500.00 after what he put into it, providing he had to pay the full 1500.00.

Call and ask what miracle was performed on the car to justify the new price

I believe that is the result of him dragging it home, and the wife getting pissed, and forcing him to "sell it", when he has zero intention to actually do so..

I believe that is the result of him dragging it home, and the wife getting pissed, and forcing him to "sell it", when he has zero intention to actually do so..
Or he is the complete and total *** that believes it is actually worth it. Who knows?

What kind of sucks is that people actually believe that cars like this are worth that much. When I first started into the Mopar obsession/hobby in 1991, I was in college working at a car wash and bought my 67 Dodge Dart GT for 600 and made payment to the guy. Today's kids can't afford the increasingly rare cars that we picked up. They have to go brand x and buy 20 year old cars from the 90s.
There is a place for cheep cars and high school level hot rods. Something someone can learn to work on and make mistakes on.

Our young charges need good fathers to nurture and teach, and to bring them up with a good moral compass!! I am providing each of my children with a sound foundation, and an awesome Mopar to have and love....more dads should do the same!!!

This car Would've been a good deal at $1500, this guy is high on exhaust fumes to think he will get anything over $2500 for it!!!

Last edited:
I gave $10.00 for a 37 Plymouth business coupe in great shape except the engine was bad. I also gave $60.00 for a 57 Pontiac bonneville with a bad transmission.
I hate flippers!
do you also hate auto part stores, they take parts rebuild them and sell right back to you. Or is it that you hate to buy from another car nut?

-- I gave $10.00 for a 37 Plymouth business coupe in great shape except the engine was bad. I also gave $60.00 for a 57 Pontiac bonneville with a bad transmission.
--
-- You're showing Your age. - Ha Ha

Last edited:
-- You're showing Your age. - Ha Ha
Yep- you are correct!!! My first job was candeling eggs after school for 5.00$ a week. People want to whine about prices today but they certainly won't work for wages that we earned when these cars were new! The car is worth exactly what the buyer and seller agree on, not what a bunch of whiners sitting on a bench suggest. If you will only give 1500 you will not be the buyer- plain and simple. In all the years I have dealt with the public I have found that when you listen to the ones with little or no money you will find that you will also have little or no money.

-
Back