Right angle oil filter adapter question; gaskets?

-

gregsdart

Reaction score
It has been so long since I put one of these on, (40 yrs!) I forgot what if anything goes on the bolt between the adapter and block? I assume the only gaskets used are the big one for the outer edge of the adapter, and the fiber one to seal the bolt to the adapter, correct?

It has been so long since I put one of these on, (40 yrs!) I forgot what if anything goes on the bolt between the adapter and block? I assume the only gaskets used are the big one for the outer edge of the adapter, and the fiber one to seal the bolt to the adapter, correct?
Mine came with a cork gasket that I think goes on the bolt between the adapter and the block. So should be 3 gaskets.

I bought one used, and the gaskets gaskets were in the gasket set I bought seperate. The cork one doesn't contact both the block and adapter, the block surface in the center is too far in, which led to my question. If you put a straight edge across the outer gasket surface with the outer gasket in place, plus the inner cork gasket against the block, there is still about .100 space too much for the cork to touch the block and adapter.

the thick gasket goes on the inside the thinner one goes on the outside
What I want to know is, what good is it if it doesn't seal the block to the adapter? If you check it with a straight edge across the block with both inner and outer gaskets where they are supposed to be, there is about .100 room before it would touch! The adapter is even across both inner and outer surfaces.

it seals once you torque it down. trust me you need that in there other wise you will have a mess. i tightened mine down to 50 ft lbs

There is no way that torquing that adapter down is going to pull it in that far.

0829171517.jpg

dont know what to tell you maybe someone else has a more detailed answer of how or why. all i know is you need it on there.

Are you trying to use the adaptor on a magnum? On LA blocks the center hole casting in the block sits higher than the outside gasket surface. Magnum engines are slightly different here I believe.

These adaptors are the WORST invention ever! Once that cork shrinks or splits there is no more oil filtration! I will not use the 68-70 passenger side HP manifold just for this reason. Give me the 71 and up manifold anyday. The little bit of extra flow from the early manifold is not worth the risk in my opinion. Unless of course it is a restored show car.

Are you trying to use the adaptor on a magnum? On LA blocks the center hole casting in the block sits higher than the outside gasket surface. Magnum engines are slightly different here I believe.
Bingo! We have a winner!! Thank you very much for that info, LeeinRI! I am using a Magnum block. I found a fat washer and a couple of shims that will help it seal up. If you look at the design, the only loss of flow would be what could get by, by going between the bolt and the part of the casting it goes through, which would be some, but not enough to cause much trouble. The bypass valve in the filter allows oil to go around the filtering media when pressure differential gets above a certain level. I know race filters flow a lot more oil, to make sure most if not all the oil gets filtered. Race filters aren't a fine a medium as street filters. I plan to use the washers and gasket though, as Ma Mopar thought it was a good idea.

Lee, I have bought TTI headers, and have to run an adapter of some sort.

Go to your favorite hardware store and buy some "machine bushings". They are in the "Hillman" hardware section in those plastic draws. They are very thin washers that will allow you to shim the adaptor for proper crushing of the cork. ;)

T
Go to your favorite hardware store and buy some "machine bushings". They are in the "Hillman" hardware section in those plastic draws. They are very thin washers that will allow you to shim the adaptor for proper crushing of the cork. ;)
Thanks, I had some on hand!

If I may make one more suggestion? Yote just reminded me of something, make sure you use #2 permatex on both sides of the large gasket!!! It WILL seep/leak if you don't! The factory used #2 on this gasket! DO NOT USE RTV! #2 permatex will not hurt the engine oiling system if ingested where RTV can!

Have the 90 deg adapter "clocked" right as you lift it up into place. In other words don't rotate it once it is up there & seated, helps with the sealing.

I believe the last few years of roller cam LA blocks are the same way as the Magnum blocks.

340 in a '69 Dart with TTI shorties. You have to use the 90° adapter. Even with the short filter.

-
Back