RIGHT STUFF DETAILING rear disc installation

-

1967 'cuda

Dropped on Head as a Baby
Reaction score
As high as I think that the quality and looks of disc brakes from companies like Wilwood, Baer, Aerospace and others are, I tend to be a cheapskate. After researching various company options for a rear disc kit I chose to go with Right Stuff Detailing. Cost was not the only factor. I had heard that there were issues with wheel clearance with some of the other companies and I wanted to be able to run 15" wheels. I had considered going the route of buying components from salvage yards and modifying them to fit but really preferred everything to be new. This is the second kit I've purchased from them. The first one I installed on an 8&3/4" rear in our '68 Charger. The Dana 60 pictured here has been narrowed to fit my '67 Barracuda. The rear had come from a '69 truck with an 8 bolt pattern. I purchased the rear for $300 from a friend. After torching off the ends and discarding the old axles I had Moser make the new axles the dimensions I needed. I thought I'd snap some pictures of the installation of the brake kit.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,140
  • IMG_0099.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 919
  • IMG_0095.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 940
  • IMG_0097.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 914
  • IMG_0096.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 942
  • IMG_0098.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 905
  • IMG_0094.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 943
  • IMG_0093.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 885
  • IMG_0092.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 929
  • IMG_0091.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 941
The first group of photos are of the rear end before the narrowing was finished and of the components that came with the brake kit. The second group of pictures show the rear end after the narrowing was finished and the brake pieces being installed.

Attachments

• IMG_0085.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 897
  • IMG_0084.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 895
  • IMG_0083.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 902
  • IMG_0082.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 876
  • IMG_0081.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 856
  • IMG_0080.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 957
  • IMG_0079.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 838
  • IMG_0078.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 840
  • IMG_0077.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 881
  • IMG_0076.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 908
The installation was quick and easy. Any of the parts that were painted were done prior to assembly.

Attachments

• IMG_0090.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 897
  • IMG_0089.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 909
  • IMG_0088.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 907
  • IMG_0087.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 886
  • IMG_0086.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 846
does it come with parking brakes?

I'm considering to go the Jeep Grand Cherokee way. Should be a simple bolt on I read here somewhere.... and parking brakes are mandatory to have the car officially on the streets here in Germany

Nice writeup.

What caliper and pads?

i am using the same kit on my 8.75. mine came with a parking break, drilled slotted rotors, and braided stainless lines. it was a special they were having at the last mopar norwalk event. very nice stuff!

I'm with everybody else

1...What did they cost?

2..."What" calipers and pads are these?

3...I don't see 'mergency brake, are they on these?

I don't see a problem with the color, LOL

does it come with parking brakes?

I'm considering to go the Jeep Grand Cherokee way. Should be a simple bolt on I read here somewhere.... and parking brakes are mandatory to have the car officially on the streets here in Germany

The park brake assembly was optional. For our '68 Charger that is running a 4-speed, we did order the kit with e-brake. My Barracuda will be running a torqueflite so I decided I could live without it .

Great job but orange calipers ?????????????

Because I had decided to keep the car's body color somewhat tame (metallic grey) I thought I'd give the car a bit more pop with a splash of orange here and there. a.e. engine, spark plug wires, rear Barracuda emblem, calipers, & air cleaner sock. Most are barely within view.

I thought I'd add a picture of the 8&3/4" rear end from my '68 Charger. It's also a disc setup from Right Stuff Detailing, but because we'll be running a 4-speed we chose to order the park brakes. We're running a new set of 15" Keystone Klassics and have only about 1/4" clearance to the calipers. The wheels that we were originally going to run were also Keystone Klassics from back in the 70's. But the wheel shells were made differently and they didn't clear the brakes.

Attachments

• rear.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 772
  • rear2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 779
do you have to run green bearings on the 8.75? looking into one of these kits and trying get all the info and parts ahead of time

do you have to run green bearings on the 8.75? looking into one of these kits and trying get all the info and parts ahead of time

Yes. The green bearings are required.

Not to hijack the thread, or say anything bad about the Right Stuff kit, but Dr. Diff does sell a rear disk brake kit that can be used with the stock adjustable tapered bearings if keeping the stock bearings matters to you.

Not to hijack the thread, or say anything bad about the SSBC kit, but Dr. Diff does sell a rear disk brake kit that can be used with the stock adjustable tapered bearings if keeping the stock bearings matters to you.

- Good to know. It's always good to have as much info as possible when you need to make decisions like this.

- Good to know. It's always good to have as much info as possible when you need to make decisions like this.

Nice to finally have a few options isn't it?

The brake kit looks good. One of these days I'll get some rear disks on my Duster, although it will probably be Cass' kit. That Dana is gorgeous! :thumbup:

Very cool write up im planning this same swap when I upgrade the axles and rims and tires and my valiant.
Thanks for taking the time to document this
Aaron

Not to hijack the thread, or say anything bad about the Right Stuff kit, but Dr. Diff does sell a rear disk brake kit that can be used with the stock adjustable tapered bearings if keeping the stock bearings matters to you.

Yep. I just did the swap myself. 11.7" rotors and Cobra Mustang calipers using Timken tapered bearings. I just need to finish up my lines though. Good thing about this swap is that you can opt for a parking brake for $100 more.

10.7" Rotor kit:
http://www.doctordiff.com/rear-disc-brake-kit-10.7-rotor.html

11.7" Rotor kit:
http://www.doctordiff.com/rear-disc-brake-kit-11.7-rotor.html

Attachments

• 8.75 assembly 1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 578
  • axles in.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 541
  • rotors on.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 497
  • 8.75 done almost.jpg