RIP 66 Barracuda

-
Wow that’s really tough to watch...that was an awesome car :(

The safety barriers did their job though, glad everyone is ok but wow, that’s tough to see

Must be the parking lot at the fairgrounds in Del Mar. Only part other than the beach that's flat in Del Mar :lol:. Only reason it's flat is because they built it in a river bed :rofl:

Anyone on the forum know the guy. I have access to a front clip

That must be the stop line. Obviously he was coming in a little to hot. Maybe a chicane to slow the cars a bit and maybe some bales of hay to lessen the blow. That Jersey barrier is not forgiving.

Anyone on the forum know the guy. I have access to a front clip
Yeah, I was lookin at the after shot. It's hit hard, but I believe it can be pulled. It's gonna take a lot of work.

I might be hearing things, but it sounded like the throttle stayed open, almost like it stuck or fat-feet (I suffer from the same affliction) covered both pedals?

You can hear his tire temps coming up as he entered his second lap, rear tire was getting a bunch of grip and the car had no forward bite and the weight didn't transfer in time because of the forward bite , brakes didn't go away, just no forward transfer.. wow, looked good on his first pass, he didn't let it roll threw that curve.
That said I sure hated to see the damage happen, I prefer cones with an areas to slide or push in to..

Just another man's opinion.. love auto crose.

I might be hearing things, but it sounded like the throttle stayed open, almost like it stuck or fat-feet (I suffer from the same affliction) covered both pedals?
No stuck, he didn't let off to let the chasey do its job. Role into a curve at that speed.. yep, bad one that could have been prevented by not using concrete barriers

You can hear his tire temps coming up as he entered his second lap, rear tire was getting a bunch of grip and the car had no forward bite and the weight didn't transfer in time because of the forward bite , brakes didn't go away, just no forward transfer.. wow, looked good on his first pass, he didn't let it roll threw that curve.
That said I sure hated to see the damage happen, I prefer cones with an areas to slide or push in to..

Just another man's opinion.. love auto crose.

Makes sense!

I had an issue last year with my new acquisition where the front brakes would lock with no warning and with little pressure. Especially as I hit bumps with the brakes applied. Turns out the adjustable prop valve was setup full-front (easier burnouts), so as I crested any bump the loss in force would let the tires lock and as the springs loaded up after the bump they stayed locked. Scary, because it was like a lightswitch at times. Brake and traction balance really matters, it turns out!

from the video comments :
He's a friend of one of the guys in a group I belong to. The accelerator pedal arm bend to the left, and got pinned under the brake pedal.....when he slammed on the brakes, it floored the car and basically caused the car to full throttle plow into the concrete barrier.

He's a friend of one of the guys in a group I belong to. The accelerator pedal arm bend to the left, and got pinned under the brake pedal.....when he slammed on the brakes, it floored the car and basically caused the car to full throttle plow into the concrete barrier.

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ugh! I just finished building a '67 to go auto-crossing. Now I'm rethinking my plan.

That wasn't too bad

When I read the title I was expecting to hear we lost a member

This is just sheet metal damage (and maybe a little framework)

Yea, ****'ll buff out, easy peasy.

Have you ever built a car? I mean like actual welding, measuring and turning any real life bolts?

That can be fixed but thats a big project. There's going to a LOT more than "a little frame work"

However, like you, I'm glad this isn't about a lost member or lost life in any way or even a hurt person. There's more tin around.

Still hurts to watch.
you know what i meant, girlfriend

even if we were to rebuild this from scratch with metal we forged ourselves, it would still be easier then trying to revive a member

Ugh! I just finished building a '67 to go auto-crossing. Now I'm rethinking my plan.

Why? Because no one has ever wrecked their car on the street or at the drag strip?

Dont get me wrong, it sucks. But if that throttle issue had happened on the street it could have been much worse. Heck if it had happened at a drag strip it could have been a whole lot worse, the speed could have been MUCH higher when the driver noticed the issue.

Track safety is something you have to pay attention to for AutoX. Typically the speeds are fairly low, and a lot of those competitions are held in parking lots vs a permanent track venue. So from one competition to another things can change a lot.

Watching that video, it seems to me that some those barriers are pretty close given the speeds that are being achieved on that course. I wouldn’t say it’s “dangerous” given that the speeds are still relatively low. But that’s definitely not the most run-off room I’ve seen at an AutoX event.

Wasn’t the only crash at the stop line in Del Mar this year. Fast forward to the 5:00 mark

Last edited:
But sure bout a car... but On a bike, it's about 85% of your Stopping Power... but just Grab em hard in a turn, and see how things turn to crap real fast!

Straight line ... Not so bad ... Just don't expect any directional control ... Hot Rod fwd same ting. Spin those steer tires in a corner and baby the ride is on!

That's Exactly what I heard too.

That wasn't too bad

When I read the title I was expecting to hear we lost a member

This is just sheet metal damage (and maybe a little framework)
It's toast,that thing bent to hell not really worth fixing by the time you tear it done straighten everything could just find another roller. I bet the engine trans didn't survive either.

-
Back