RIP Dodge Dakota 1987-2011

-
Always thought a decent sized turbo diesel (4 or 5 cylinder) would have done them good- as well as a restyle of the latest fugly look and cheap interior feel change. Nope, gonna sell more Euro- mini cars, thats what DC wants (and they hold the strings @ Mopar along w/FIAT)

It's really not that surprising. They didnt put enough emphasis on the truck. Several years ago i went to look at them and it was cheaper to get a crewcab 2wd hemi 1500 than an ext cab dakota because of the deals they would work on the 1500s.

They killed their own truck. On the bright side, maybe they'll come back to the market with a different midsize truck that has more appeal.(sportier, better looking, quicker)

Dakotas haven't sold in years wonder they have lasted this long
New small truck coming base on mini van platform
Dodge29

I have an 02 and love that truck. Most of these mountain trails around here a full size gets the paint scraped of the sides from the trees, but my dakota fits perfect. Pulls like a full size and still hauls my wheeler.

wow... I'm wondering.......... are you crazy? yekes!

I loved the 99 Dakota 4x4 5.2 club cab I had. One of those vehicles you wished you would have kept. I will have to get one again.

personally I dislike suv's-trucks on the roads. Why, they are hard to see in front of, they roll over too easily, they do more damage to cars when in a crash.

Cars you can see through the back window the other cars in front, cars wipe out going too fast in a turn, far better than rolling over and in a crash its fair game.

Trucks-suv's do have their place and are needed, just too many folks use them when a car would do the job better.

Over in New Jersey those high school students got killed when the young driver lost control braking for stop traffic, if they were in a full size car--like a new Charger, the accident might not have even happen. Cars rarely flip unless they hit something.............

EGG HARBOR TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) — A sport utility vehicle carrying eight members of a southern New Jersey high school football team crashed Saturday on the Garden State Parkway, killing four players and injuring four, authorities said.

It wasn't immediately clear where the teenagers were coming from or where they were going when the SUV crashed at about 11:45 a.m. The crash, which occurred in the southbound lanes of the parkway near exit 38A in Egg Harbor Township, created lengthy traffic jams in the area for most of Saturday afternoon.

The driver apparently lost control of the SUV as it went around a crest in the road and came upon heavy traffic, said Sgt. Julian Castellanos, a state police spokesman. The SUV overturned several times, ejecting two passengers, one of whom was struck by a passing car, Castellanos said.

The driver and two passengers were pronounced dead at the scene; a third passenger died at a hospital. Four others were taken to hospitals for treatment of injuries believed to be non-life-threatening.

personally I dislike suv's-trucks on the roads. Why, they are hard to see in front of, they roll over too easily, they do more damage to cars when in a crash.

Cars you can see through the back window the other cars in front, cars wipe out going too fast in a turn, far better than rolling over and in a crash its fair game.

Trucks-suv's do have their place and are needed, just too many folks use them when a car would do the job better.

Over in New Jersey those high school students got killed when the young driver lost control braking for stop traffic, if they were in a full size car--like a new Charger, the accident might not have even happen. Cars rarely flip unless they hit something.............

EGG HARBOR TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) — A sport utility vehicle carrying eight members of a southern New Jersey high school football team crashed Saturday on the Garden State Parkway, killing four players and injuring four, authorities said.

It wasn't immediately clear where the teenagers were coming from or where they were going when the SUV crashed at about 11:45 a.m. The crash, which occurred in the southbound lanes of the parkway near exit 38A in Egg Harbor Township, created lengthy traffic jams in the area for most of Saturday afternoon.

The driver apparently lost control of the SUV as it went around a crest in the road and came upon heavy traffic, said Sgt. Julian Castellanos, a state police spokesman. The SUV overturned several times, ejecting two passengers, one of whom was struck by a passing car, Castellanos said.

The driver and two passengers were pronounced dead at the scene; a third passenger died at a hospital. Four others were taken to hospitals for treatment of injuries believed to be non-life-threatening.

I have crashed about everything and I prefer to be in a truck. Speaking from experience. LOL

WTF? never mind.....

............New small truck coming base on mini van platform..............

NO THANKS, FIAT, I'LL JUST TAKE YUGO INSTEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

800px-Yugo_Pickup.jpg

Its kind of funny that with the new supposed emphasis on fuel economy they would phase out their smaller trucks.

I've owned a 99 and 2000 dakota, both with the R/T package. Fun trucks and still look pretty current as far as their design goes. One day if i run across the right R/T for sale, i might pick one up.

Not suprising as the sales have been way off.... maybe because they started making them look like butt cake.
I have owned a 1990 4x4, a 1993 4x4, and a 2003 4x4
All three were great trucks.
The 1990 v6 sport was my fav truck I ever owned.

oh well....

-RPM

my 1996 Dakota has 176,000, has the 2.5 four banger, with a 5 speed and it runs great. Basically had no problems with it either.

Just got my new daily driver yesterday. It is a 2001 4.7 liter 60,000 miles. One of my really good friends got it new and has done some really cool things to it. I have loved this truck for a long time and I own it now. :burnout:

Attachments

• Dakota (Large).jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 364
Just got my new daily driver yesterday. It is a 2001 4.7 liter 60,000 miles. One of my really good friends got it new and has done some really cool things to it. I have loved this truck for a long time and I own it now. :burnout:

Good lookin' truck.

ahhhh. the smaller trucks never made much sense to me. maybe if they were better on fuel than they are. you can buy a full size for the price of most smaller trucks.

I hate to see it go, I bought a `03 new with the 4.7 (yes I wanted the hemi too) and used it a lot for the first couple years. After that I hardly ever drove it. I ended up selling it just a few years ago with just 17K on it.

My first hotrod was a Dakota. still have the thing, minus motor, and wrecked in the front, thanks to a dumb drunk person in a parking lot. Guess I need to bury her.. :(

you should fix it, is the frame bent? cab twisted? trucks are easier to fix then cars. nothing like the 1987-1996 style dakotas, the little dakota that started it all

I have a 97, the first year for that body style. My first hotrod. Love the truck 5.2 auto with around 330-340 hp. I think the big mistake Dodge made was going too big with the 05 plus trucks. The styling was an obvious mistake. They really needed to figure out some fuel economy with those trucks. Never came close to the competition on that front. That and they had them priced WAY too high. I could buy a well equipped Ram for less money.

believe it or not i just traded my 2005 dakots slt v6 48000 mile truck for a 2002 dakota 5.9 R/T 392 posi with only 25000 miles it also has a kenny bell supercharger and a full body kit believe me when i say this truck is fast when the storm get out of here i'll post some pic's

-
Back