RMS Alterktion Review In My 72 Demon

-

RenVill

Reaction score
Let me start off first with saying, I will try to be as honest as I can be about my experience with purchasing, having it installed, dealing with issues through the install and ultimately how it feels and drives post install. Again, my goal is only to give my honest experience throughout the ordeal and nothing else.

PURCHASING/Shipping & Receiving
Very easy process. I gave RMS a call, talked to Bill himself and he asked me a few questions about the car, my options on the kit and which route I wanted to go to. The questions he asked specifically were what year and model my car was and which coilovers I wanted in the kit. He didnt ask me if the car was manual or on the floor/column auto(this plays a role later on). There was also no info or questions about the existing wheels and/or brakes currently in the car. After that talk on the phone, he told me it would be a month or so and I wouldnt need to pay yet until it was ready to ship.
About 3 months later and after a few email/phone calls in just inquiring about how it was going, my credit card was charged and I received an email about all the boxes coming my way.

Installation/Dealing with Issues
I do not have the luxury of time and/or space where I live to install this myself so I had to have a shop help me install. Obviously the majority of having this installed through the shop has nothing to do with RMS but the issues found while having it installed is so I'll just copy and paste all the issues the shop found while doing the install.

"Discovered front suspension kit missing both inner tie rod jam nuts. Manufacturer overnighting missing jam nuts. Discovered front suspension kit provided 9/16" locking nuts for 1/2" power steering rack mount bolts. Replaced 9/16" nuts with 1/2" nuts. Discovered front suspension kit provided left-handed thread upper control arm pivot ends (4). Control arms found to accommodate right-handed pivot ends. Manufacturer overnighting correct righthanded upper control arm pivot ends. Encountered component fitment concerns (adequate steering column stabilization with new steering system linkage) when adapting steering column to new front suspension steering system. Manufacturer explained their system is not designed to accommodate vehicles equipped with column transmission shifters. Manufacturer overnighting custom steering column bushings to aid in properly adapting/stabilizing new steering system with vehicles steering column. Discovered adapting new power steering rack to vehicles existing power steering system will require installation of custom length power steering pressure and return lines. Installed new steering lines.
Discovered front wheels do not clear outer steering linkage tie rod ends. Tie rod ends are obstructed by inner wheel barrels. Customer approved measuring for replacement front wheel backspacing/offset, procurement and installation of replacement front wheels/tires."

When the first issue of parts came about, I was able to contact Bill at RMS after multiple phone calls and I asked him to give the shop a call so that they can explain what it was they found and how to resolve it. Bill was kind enough to overnight the missing and incorrect parts. Second time around, I could not get Bill on the phone after numerous tries so I tried him on facebook and was successful there. He again called the shop for me and was kind enough to correct the mistake by overnighting the incorrect/missing parts. The third go round, I tried both calling and messaging on facebook if there was any way o resolve the wheels not clearing because of the tie rod ends but no phone call back, no more replying to my facebook messages. I guess he's had enough of it.... Until now, no replies back. I ended up purchasing two new rims and tires just so we could clear it. This is probably my fault for not checking that info but it wouldved been nice to be able to talk to the vendor about it.

Post Install Feel
I love them. The steering responsiveness and ride comfortability has improved so much it feels like a totally different car. I'm very happy with how it rides now than before. It is truly night and day difference.

Overall
Again, I'm very happy with how the kit feels on the car but the experience hasnt been the best with trying to contact the vendor to go through the issues. Quality control obviously wasnt great as multiple parts had to be sent. If I was doing this myself it wouldnt be such a big deal but because it was in a shop where there are other project cars waiting to use the lift, added days to my project definitely messed up the flow and lowered my experience with this ordeal. I'm hoping by the time I am ready to have the rear end upgraded, I can revisit RMS for their Lynx set up and have a much better experience.

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

20230220_103204.jpg

20230220_103229.jpg

20230220_103937.jpg

20230220_103941.jpg

20230220_103947.jpg

20230220_103954.jpg

20230220_104025.jpg

20230220_104029.jpg

I have a friend who went through the same ordeal with RMS. Nothing was explained with fitment of this suspension on a his car. He is disgusted. It also is automatic on the column. He did it for the power steering and header clearance.

He had issues with everything even the motor mounts. Many things had to be made to fit. He hasn't tried his factory wheels yet . I can't wait until he does. The **** will hit the fan then.LOL

All that room for headers and you run manifolds. Alrighty then.

I know nothing about these systems, but shouldn't there be some type of support for the steering linkage between the two u-joints?

I have both the front and rear under my car. My experience with rms was top shelf. Bill was hard to get on the phone but when he did call me back it was always helpful. I actually went to his shop to pick up my parts and got to have a look at the way he builds this system. As or the system itself. I love it. Easy to install. I did the install myself. All jokes aside it took me about 3 days for the front. And about 2 for the rear. And it handles great. I personally would do it again.

I have both the front and rear under my car. My experience with rms was top shelf. Bill was hard to get on the phone but when he did call me back it was always helpful. I actually went to his shop to pick up my parts and got to have a look at the way he builds this system. As or the system itself. I love it. Easy to install. I did the install myself. All jokes aside it took me about 3 days for the front. And about 2 for the rear. And it handles great. I personally would do it again.
I wish he was local to me, I wouldved for sure stopped by as well.

Discovered front wheels do not clear outer steering linkage tie rod ends. Tie rod ends are obstructed by inner wheel barrels. Customer approved measuring for replacement front wheel backspacing/offset, procurement and installation of replacement front wheels/tires."

I ended up purchasing two new rims and tires just so we could clear it.

View attachment 1716053589

View attachment 1716053590

What wheels are those?

Tire size?

What wheels are those?

Tire size?
I wanted to ask the same thing. They look like Wheel Vintiques 17” steel or similar. I’ve been considering those on my demon either black or body color. Haven’t seen many examples

I wanted to ask the same thing. They look like Wheel Vintiques 17” steel or similar. I’ve been considering those on my demon either black or body color. Haven’t seen many examples
I found the invoice.

Wheel U.S. Wheel 51 Series Paint-Ready Smoothie Steel Wheel - 17x7 - 4.5inch Backspace 2 169.99 339.98T Tire 235/45ZR17 ATLANDER AX88 97W XL 420AA Tire 2 68.99 137.98T

I found the invoice.

Wheel U.S. Wheel 51 Series Paint-Ready Smoothie Steel Wheel - 17x7 - 4.5inch Backspace 2 169.99 339.98T Tire 235/45ZR17 ATLANDER AX88 97W XL 420AA Tire 2 68.99 137.98T
Off RMS topic. How do you like that wilwood master cylinder? Thanks Dustin

-
Back