Roadrunner or Not

-
When doing the VIN and title check everything came up as it should. However, it did show the car as originally coming with a 318.

Another thing that concerns me is that there is no dash VIN plate or fender tag. I know, red flags but again, VIN and title check were all good.

Would like to know where I can get a dash tag for it. I know it is going to be difficult to find get a fender tag for it as I don't have any documentation.

At any rate, can anyone shed some light on this issue for me?

Thanks!

Well,it's obviously a Satellite if a 318 was original to it. (or that is what the title SHOULD say) Buying a car with the VIN tag removed is spooky. There's always a chance that the car was stolen. Without any identifying numbers on the car, the title could be from a different vehicle. Someone could have stolen a Roadrunner, removed the tag and coupled a Satellite title with it. (in which case it could be a true Roadrunner)

The places that I've checked into that will reproduce VIN tags want a lot of documentation to make sure everything's legit. You may have to trace down the car's history and develop a notarized paper trail from past owners.

if you paid reasonable money for it ,it drives great ,it looks fantastic, call it a satellite and have a great time with the car , beautiful looking car, guarantee you light the tires nobody will care, they will just wish they were driving it, I know I would

I would just call it what it is, a clone.
It wouldn't bother me at all.
As long as you are happy, that's all that matters.

Where I would take issue, is when people try to sell a clone as the real thing.
That's just fraud!

I would guess it's not a RR, if it was some other clues would be 8 3/4" rear end, HD leaf springs with two extra small Leaf's on the pass side. 10x2" brakes on the front.

A 318 wasn't available in the RoadRunner until 1974.
You could also get a 318 in a Charger Rallye that year also.

318's were available in the 73 Road Runners...Some even came with a 4-speed :D

What is the VIN? Since this is a Canada build who knows.

Say what??? Canadian cars had VINs too. As a matter of fact, they were the same as the US VINs....starting in '66 after the Auto-Pact came in.

I suggest she checks the rad support and rear trunk lip/dutchman panel for the VIN of the car, not what's on the title.

I try not to be pessimistic but......the only thing that is clean on your title search is your paperwork. You have, from what I have read, absolutely no way of matching your clean VIN to that car - Yikes is right!

There is also a vin numer on drivers side trunk rail under weather stripping .

In 1968 RR's only had 383 and 426 Hemi choices and that was it absolutely no 318's in a RR...... In 1969 also until 1969 1/2 then the 440+6 was available. No small blocks at all in a RR until 1971 then it was a 340 and it was also the last year for the Hemi. Now in 1973 the standard was 318 and the big blocks became optional.

the road runner had an available décor package ...(code A87, I believe) which included the bright tail panel and the plastic chrome arm rest bases and usually a nicer door mirror and deluxe steering wheel.

Rani,

You know your stuff............ :cheers:

That is a beautiful looking car and I would be very happy driving it around.
That said, was the car represented to you as an authentic Road Runner when you purchased it? Did you buy from a dealer or an individual? What actually documented that it was originally a 318 car? Did the person you purchased from know anything about the car - when it was restored, how long they had owned it, how long the person they got it from had it or anything like that?
You must have a VIN that is associated with the car - in order to get tags and insurance, right? Does it begin with RM as discussed earlier?
C

Wait.

So does the vin on the title say it's a roadrunner, and it had a 318, or did the vin on the title indicate some other car, With a318?

But really, you have a vin on a title. And a car. And NOTHING linking the two together.

Right?

The car might actually be a legit roadrunner. If it is, I I'm betting the people it was stolen from want it back.

the road runner had an available décor package ...(code A87, I believe) which included the bright tail panel and the plastic chrome arm rest bases and usually a nicer door mirror and deluxe steering wheel.

Incorrect. In 1968, the code would be three numeric digits.
Sales Code 360 = "Road Runner Decor Group" - Includes, color keyed carpets with auto trans only, vinyl trim, B Pillar Stainless Steel cover, bright arm rest base, rear arm rests with ash trays, bright trim panel rear moldings, partial horn ring, painted deck lid panel with Road Runner Decal.

In my opinion, that's a nice car you have there. Is it a Road Runner? Probably not. How did you buy it without a VIN? I mean no disrespect, but you really need to lose that black stripe on the deck lid!

Incorrect. In 1968, the code would be three numeric digits.
Sales Code 360 = "Road Runner Decor Group" - Includes, color keyed carpets with auto trans only, vinyl trim, B Pillar Stainless Steel cover, bright arm rest base, rear arm rests with ash trays, bright trim panel rear moldings, partial horn ring, painted deck lid panel with Road Runner Decal.

In my opinion, that's a nice car you have there. Is it a Road Runner? Probably not. How did you buy it without a VIN? I mean no disrespect, but you really need to lose that black stripe on the deck lid!

yea ....I forget about those confusing 68 number codes lol after 69 it all made so much more sense .....except lynch road tags :???:

I sure hope they can get plates for it with no tag. Here in Co someone could probably get away with it, with an in state title and hope you don't get stopped. But any out of state title requires a vin uh-oh inspection.

In my state, PA, they would have a lot of problems getting that car legally on the road without a VIN. No VIN = No title. I can't see how they purchased that car.

In my state, PA, they would have a lot of problems getting that car legally on the road without a VIN. No VIN = No title. I can't see how they purchased that car.

yea its just a bad deal all the way around.

Best wishes to the O.P. hope it works out is all I can say because this is bad and hopefully there is not a lot of money in the toilet here.

There is also a vin numer on drivers side trunk rail under weather stripping .

No VIN # on the body any where on 68 mopars, only sequence number that will match the VIN tag. With no VIN tag the #'s do not mean much.

Nice clone.

I agree with the comment about losing the tail stripe as that's a dodge thing and it does nothing for that car.

Don't get too butt hurt about it. Education always costs something and I bet you learned your lesson and it will never happen again.

Enjoy that great looking car and drive on! :burnout:

Nice clone.

I agree with the comment about losing the tail stripe as that's a dodge thing and it does nothing for that car.

Don't get too butt hurt about it. Education always costs something and I bet you learned your lesson and it will never happen again.

Enjoy that great looking car and drive on! :burnout:

I Agree,

* Lose the 'stripe'.
* Lose the Round Exhaust Tips {smells of Ford/Mercury}
* Lose the Fiberglass Hood, and pop on the correct 1968 Road Runner hood.

The Wheels are 'excellent' for that soft-yellow Paint.

i think i would have done my homework before i purchased this car. I damn sure wouldn't have plastered it all over the net as a car with no vin. who knows the real owner of this car may be looking for it............

-
Back