Rock auto issues....

-

Ironracer

Gearhead
Reaction score
I was looking at some brute force U joints through them, 10% off from manufacturer, and had a 5 % off code from Rock auto. Came up to 36 bucks for two of them which I thought was a sweet deal compared to local. Got an email on the 20th day and everything was " shipped" their definition of that is boxed, and Track # generation. Expected date of receiving was supposed to be the 23rd. USPS tracking number shows they've never even been picked up? What the heck? Anyone else ever have similar issues with them? Thank You!

I don't think there is a Rock Auto central shipping center. My understanding of how they do business is they are merely a marking center for other suppliers -- they process your order, take your money, then pass the order on to the supplier. It is up to the supplier to ship the product. That is why you get so many listings for the same part, and at what is sometimes a great price, and lousy other times. If you contact Rock Auto they'll probably light a fire under the supplier's wallet pocket.

I don't think there is a Rock Auto central shipping center. My understanding of how they do business is they are merely a marking center for other suppliers -- they process your order, take your money, then pass the order on to the supplier. It is up to the supplier to ship the product. That is why you get so many listings for the same part, and at what is sometimes a great price, and lousy other times. If you contact Rock Auto they'll probably light a fire under the supplier's wallet pocket.
They've got a few warehouses, this one happens to be in California. There's one of their warehouses not too far up the road from here on Highway 301 and State Road 60. Problem is they're completely online only, they don't even have a customer service number! The website doesn't even give you a way to leave a note for someone to see if the thing even got hidden underneath a box, or thrown in the garbage, or a part-time temporary day labor crew stuck in their pocket or whatever... last time I had an issue with them they wouldn't let me return it until I took possession of it I contacted FedEx and told FedEx to turn that **** around, Do Not drop it off at my house! That worked! lol different deal here

Last edited:
They've got a few warehouses, this one happens to be in California. There's one of their warehouses not too far up the road from here on Highway 301 and State Road 60. Problem is they're completely online only, they don't even have a customer service number! The website doesn't even give you a way to leave a note for someone to see if the thing even got hidden underneath a box, or thrown in the garbage, or a part-time temporary day labor crew stuck in their pocket or whatever... last time I had an issue with them they wouldn't let me return it until I took possession of it I contacted FedEx and told FedEx to turn that **** around, Do Not drop it off at my house! That worked! lol different deal here
Damn that is where i live. I didn’t know they had a warehouse here. I buy from them all the time without a issue.

Damn that is where i live. I didn’t know they had a warehouse here. I buy from them all the time without a issue.
There's a wholesale Automotive Warehouse right next door to them in the same warehouse. They are a main source for all the Pep Boys around here I buy from them direct at discounted prices. They are good people!

Ok. Solved, for now! Lol they just happend to send me an email (and that was after I tried to reach out to corporate, which did no good) that I replied to, receiving a non-reply message. So,in order to return the part,
I went through the computer questionnaire of why I want to return it, and got the option for them to resend it being here in 1 to 3 days ground shipping... we'll see!

I got the wrong part once and a part that was defective another time. Both times I just set up a return and they made good on both. Told me to send the old fan motor back in the same box with a prepaid shipping label.....sound familiar? I think that's how I got the wrong part shipped the First time. There was only a bearing seal in a box that was suppose to be a thermostat housing. I like them, just watch the shipping charges...

I got the wrong part once and a part that was defective another time. Both times I just set up a return and they made good on both. Told me to send the old fan motor back in the same box with a prepaid shipping label.....sound familiar? I think that's how I got the wrong part shipped the First time. There was only a bearing seal in a box that was suppose to be a thermostat housing. I like them, just watch the shipping charges...
When they first came out, before they were on TV, I heard of them from Mopar action. And being is a lot of those parts they have,are available locally, you can cross reference part numbers( they were really affordable back then ) but you're right! They will knock you in the head over shipping these days, especially if you get a few things that come from different warehouses (you're better off getting it other places, sometimes)

I've never had a problem with them, other than trying to get credit for the core return on a set of 302 heads. Finally got the credit after rattling the cage with a few e mails.

A guy I work with bought an alternator one time and a core with broken bolts in it was shipped to him in the box. It appeared someone must have shipped an old one back as a return and put a junker in the box instead of the new one.

I was looking at some brute force U joints through them, 10% off from manufacturer, and had a 5 % off code from Rock auto. Came up to 36 bucks for two of them which I thought was a sweet deal compared to local. Got an email on the 20th day and everything was " shipped" their definition of that is boxed, and Track # generation. Expected date of receiving was supposed to be the 23rd. USPS tracking number shows they've never even been picked up? What the heck? Anyone else ever have similar issues with them? Thank You!
Well my old driving instructor was a regional rep for rock auto and he always had the idea that they were the best parts warehouse on the planet.(of course he did) But, the first time I used them to get a gas tank and pickup, it arrived within the week, and It actually shipped when It said it did. So I guess its a case-by-case basis.

Well my old driving instructor was a regional rep for rock auto and he always had the idea that they were the best parts warehouse on the planet.(of course he did) But, the first time I used them to get a gas tank and pickup, it arrived within the week, and It actually shipped when It said it did. So I guess its a case-by-case basis.
I've bought a bunch of different things there over the years. This is a first

Only problem I have ever had was their listing for my Ford ranger radiator was incorrect. But they returnd my $$ after I sent back the part. Shipping has always been good...

I've bought a bunch of different things there over the years. This is a first
Yeah, I think it is a problem with everyone right now. i've always heard summit is one of the more reliable parts people but the one time i used them they took 4 weeks to ship to me with half of the parts coming from New Mexico.
The only people that seem to pull off quick shipping perfectly is O'reilly's

Everyone is having issues... and I have had issues with RA before.

I bought a part that was incorrect despite what the catalog said... I returned it and reordered and got the same incorrect part again! I finally got the part from my Federated store. I made sure they knew there was a problem with their listing... I actually got a phone call from customer no-service to relate my story.

Years ago I had an unclaimed $50.00 gift certificate that we had for a door prize at my hot rod show. So I waited six months for thewinner to claim it but they never did. So I ordered some filters, etc. for my Triumph TR-3. Got $48.00 woth of parts and it cost $28.00 to ship ()IIRC) coming from three different locations.

Wow that's a deal.

I ordered from a big VW parts seller a few weeks ago... 12 days via FedEx from California to Wisconsin. USPS did another order in 10 days.

Hit or miss at RA. I ordered a set of drums for my Dart, did the brakes but didn’t drive the car till a year later. Realized one of the drums hd a big crack in it. Too late for recourse. Inspect your parts thoroughly.
Received other parts that were just fine.

O'reilly's and Autozone here will price match RA with no shipping charges. I usually have the part later that day or within 24 hours.

I ordered a steering box last week and it is the correct part number yet, it does not fit. The frame is fine, never hit, but the box won't bottom out. Now they are busting my balls about the return. Really first problem I've had with them, but this frost my sack, and you can only deal with them through emails.

So I'm shopping for Beetle brake parts @ Rock Auto... one rear drum and front and rear brake shoes with shipping is $82.00. Cheapest parts available. Same with shipping.

I'll check with my local store tonight.

So I'm shopping for Beetle brake parts @ Rock Auto... one rear drum and front and rear brake shoes with shipping is $82.00. Cheapest parts available. Same with shipping.

I'll check with my local store tonight.
Finally got my Brute Force u joints today. Still kinda pissed. They drop ship them from the supplier but the damn things are made in China had I known I would never,ever bought them. Arrghhh!!!!!!!

For foreign customers, RA is the best :
- Wide US parts availability
- Multi languages site with prices in euros.
- Automatic intl shipping and taxes calculator.
- Low prices (here, the same part can cost up five times more)

My latest purchase : a remanufactured starter. $28.00
Grand total with Fedex shipping and taxes : 61.00€
Got it in France in 5 days.
In France, a 1971 Chrysler remanufactured starter is 125.00€ + shipping and 8/10 days delay. :BangHead:
Démarreur ACDELCO 336-1044

In brief, thank you very much from abroad, Rock Auto. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
-
Back