rocker arm noisey

• Thread starter Deleted member 37394
  • Start date
-
D

Deleted member 37394

Started the car the other day, and it has excessive noise coming from valve covers. After removing the covers could spin most of the push rods with my fingers. The motor only has about 300 miles on it. It is a 360 punched .030 over kb 107 pistons 484/284 purple shaft cam and lifters. 600 Edelbrock carb on rpm air gap. oil pressure runs between 60/65 lbs cold 30/40 warm and in gear. Could it possibly be collapse lifters? Push rods and valve train new also.

They are nonadjustable stock rockers. I did however check to make sure the shaft are still tight

I did not. I did pump up the lifters with oil. I figured that the push rod were good because they were new and ordered for that motor.

I would want to look at the cam. A new engine losing pre-load ........

Last edited:
At any given degree, wouldn't most valves be closed?
Even with correct preload, you should be able to spin pushrods on closed valves with your fingers.

could be a bad lifter, cam lobe going, pushrod to short, etc
Get an old valve cover and cut the top off, install and run at idle. Paint a white dot on the upper portion of the pushrods so you can see if they are rotating at idle. If some are not rotating the lifter and/or lobe is suspect.You can also put pressure on the rocker with your hand and figure out which ones are noisy.

I'll tear into it tomorrow, I was suspecting a bad cam or lifters.

lifters are probably not collapsed , lifters with preload would have pushrods that are not easy to rotate. was it noisy 200 miles ago?

Not as bad as it is now. At first thought it might needed to run a little to pump the lifters up. The car has plenty of power runs excellent. No miss or hesitation. I'm going to pull the valve train apart today measure the push rods and go from there.

163.jpg
159.jpg
Well took the valve train apart, found a few push rods that had rub marks from where they contacted the hole about two inches down their length on the drivers side and no rub marks on the passenger side. I had another set of push rods from another engine and compared the two. the ones out of the engine were just a bit longer like maybe .050 longer. So I used the shorter ones. It sounds a lot better, still has a little tick. Do the rocker arms look like they are on the shafts correctly?View attachment 1715033062
159.jpg

rockers look correct, you should make sure the rub is corrected and preload is correct. A little masking tape on the rub area will let you know if you have clearance.

Well I think the scraping on the sides of the push rods pretty much tells the story. At least we know it's not the rockers making the noise as originally stated...

rockers look correct, you should make sure the rub is corrected and preload is correct. A little masking tape on the rub area will let you know if you have clearance.

Rockers do NOT look like they are on correct. The offset on the intake rockers looks backwards. Try flipping your intake rockers . EX--flip intakes #2 with #4 and #6 with #8. Check the other bank for similar orientation. J.Rob

I did not mention the rubbed push rods were only on the drivers side and most were the left marked rocker. I will swap them around today to see if that helps. I'm wondering if maybe the stamping are just off a little causing the rub. I'll get some pictures and post them of the push rods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rockers do NOT look like they are on correct. The offset on the intake rockers looks backwards. Try flipping your intake rockers . EX--flip intakes #2 with #4 and #6 with #8. Check the other bank for similar orientation. J.Rob

I'm going with what the FSM has printed.
upload_2017-3-30_8-22-0.png

Take a good look at the rockers in OP's photo. The intake p-rod cups should be furthest away from intake port wall--NOT closest. J.Rob
I always thought the left and right rockers were different for proper rocker to valve stem alignment.
upload_2017-3-30_9-0-36.png

Okay got some pictures of the push rods from the drivers side. They are not in order. At least I know they are rotating the rub marks are uniform the whole way around.
IMG_20170330_1033263_rewind.1.jpg
IMG_20170330_1033571_rewind.3.jpg
IMG_20170330_1033571_rewind.jpg

IMG_20170330_1033026_rewind.3.jpg

Maybe it's not your valvetrain. I had some noise that I swore was my valvetrain and it ended up being a leak from my headers. Take a couple feet of hose, like the diameter of a garden hose and use it to listen around your exhaust manifolds. Also look around the ports for any signs of exhaust soot.

stock smallblock mopar rockers do not look right, the intake rockers have the pushrod cup offset the "wrong way". a small amount of pushrod rubbing is typical with a non stock cam, probably not causing your noise

I decided to change the rocker arms on the drivers side, I got a set of Melling arms when I compared them to the Elgin ones the push rod cup was moved a little closer to center. Not much but the push rods are more centered in the holes in the heads. The engine is a lot quieter now! Hopefully it will stay that way. I'm going to change the passenger side next. Thank everyone for their input. I appreciate all of your help. A lot of knowledge on this site. Thanks again.

-
Back