Rocker Arm Oiling

-

s scamp

Reaction score
Using RAS 1.6 arms on built 225. No oil to rockers! Any ideas (new)? I have talked to Larry Clifford, Doug Dutra and others. No one agrees on the source of the problem.
Thanks, s scamp

Pull the rear bolt and see if there is any oil coming up to the head first. If yes, then you may have the rocker shaft upside down. If no, then you have issues in the shortblock.

The early RAS rockers did not oil the valve tips well to start with, but you should be seeing lots of oil off the shaft.

No one will be able to give a definite answer without seeing the motor in person.

The Rocker Arm in question is non-roller purchased recently from RAS. I plan on calling Gary at RAS in the morning in the continuing seach for the answer. The short block is NEW, not recon. All oil passages have be checked, all clear. Was the reduced shank rear bolt for hydraulic lifter motors? Clifford sent me one, but old motor did not use this style of bolt???

The reduced shank rear bolt started when they went to the peanut plug head. (Around the '75 model year) If your head does not require one and you have one, it will not tighten up at all.

Do you have oil out of the rear hole with the bolt out and the engine running? If the rear cam bearing is not aligned properly you will have no oil no matter how clear the passage is.

I have a set of RAS rebuilts on my motor and they will oil like crazy.

Latest Update on my top of motor oiling issue. RAS took back rocker arms to add additional clearence. He was concerned that no one else has contacted him with this problem. In the meantime, took Clifford "Blueprinted" head apart to check for damage due to no oil. Holy Crap, what a mess! You would have to see it to believe it! Boxed up head and sent it back to Clifford, fix it or refund, your choice. The more I hear about Clifford the more I believe what other people are saying, BEWARE! Too bad it has come to this. Has anyone had experience with oiling hole in cam being out of phase (drilled) for oiling? Thanks for the input.

S Scamp

I have seen many Slant cams with the hole in the wrong place or no hole at all.

Did you ever verify if there was oil coming up through the head?

We have verified that the oil hole in the cam is phased correctly. Needless to say, I will be certain that there is oil in the top of the motor before starting this time. Still have not received the head back from Clifford. Guess I will need to call, again.
s scamp

Just to make absolutely sure!

Do you have a hydraulic or mechanical top end?

There have been problems where people have tried to use hydraulic lifters in a Mechanical oiling system. This will not work.

The lifters on a hydraulic slant six are oiled through the pushrods from the top. A mechanical rocker and pushrod will not work here.

CJ

:angryfir:Valve train is solid lifter. Still waiting to get the head back from Clifford and get this thing back in the car! What a learning experience the last 3 1/2 years have been on this project. The old axiom, "If you want something done right, do it yourself" is PROFOUND! Thanks to everyone who has replied to my posts. I will get get some pics posted when finished (oil to the rockers) and driving.

Is that the one with the reduced diameter shank so the head can oil through the rear passenger side head bolt hole?
I didn't see where anyone addressed this question. The only "reduced diameter shank" bolt I am aware of on my son's '74 Dart slant six is the rear rocker shaft mounting bolt - not a head bolt. The rear rocker shaft pedestal has a small hole at the bottom for the oil passage. Oil comes up through the pedestal, basically travels around the stepped shank of the bolt, flows into the rocker shaft, and exits the rocker arms.

How many years does it take to get a roller rocker set & shaft from RAS ?
Kruzz

-
Back