Rocker arms

-

mopar head

Reaction score
I`m in the market for rocker arms. I notice some manufactures say extruded? Do they actually extrude molten aluminum, like injection molding? Is this a cheaper process, or give you a better or worse product? I`m leaning toward Hughes, or Crane ductiles, but choices, choices:scratch:btw,LA,engine

Both make a great product. I like the Huges rocker set up alot.

No info on what extruded means, sorry, never knew that one.

I like roller rockers that being said I use comp pro mags. Also you might want to bump the rocker arm ratio to 1.6 instead of 1.5 (you can use a smaller cam and better effects).

I also agree with both posts. I am running 1.6 Hughes rockers. My friend is also running them and neither of us have had any issues and we beat on our cars

Sorry it took so long but thanks to all responders. I found out what`s up with the extruded stuff by another member on another thread, same page.
I decided to go Hughes,with their hold downs. Ordered 4/18, have yet to see them. I`ve been politely contacting them, and they keep saying to check back later in the week, saying shaft machine`rs, are still working on them. Being impatient, I told them last week that if they don`t ship by friday, I`m considering cancelling the order. They responded by saying, threats won`t make em ship any faster,apologising and to check back the beginning of this week. I`m getting tired of being jerked around. Their site still says on backorder, est. delivery on 4/28. I could of had the pro mags from summit and been driveing 3 weeks ago. I say just be upfront and honest on a ship date instead of stringing along a customer for weeks on end. Bad business practice if you ask me. What say you? Am I being unreasonable?:argue:

Sorry it took so long but thanks to all responders. I found out what`s up with the extruded stuff by another member on another thread, same page.
I decided to go Hughes,with their hold downs. Ordered 4/18, have yet to see them. I`ve been politely contacting them, and they keep saying to check back later in the week, saying shaft machine`rs, are still working on them. Being impatient, I told them last week that if they don`t ship by friday, I`m considering cancelling the order. They responded by saying, threats won`t make em ship any faster,apologising and to check back the beginning of this week. I`m getting tired of being jerked around. Their site still says on backorder, est. delivery on 4/28. I could of had the pro mags from summit and been driveing 3 weeks ago. I say just be upfront and honest on a ship date instead of stringing along a customer for weeks on end. Bad business practice if you ask me. What say you? Am I being unreasonable?:argue:

Heres the deal
Probe made the rockers for hughes.
Hughes decided to try and cut out the middle and bought all the tooling to make them all by there lonesome....but they had no idea how much work it was and how many people it took to run the machines....so now they have zero rockers and pissed customers.
They are in over their heads...

Extruding tightens the grain structure & makes the aluminum harder 'in a nut shell' btw

The hughes rockers do not like large valve springs and may contact the retainers just like ALL other aluminum rockers that are on the market-crane/prw/procomp/HARLANDSHARP/kmj/ohio crank....etc...

The majority 'with the exception of 'hughes/probe/t&d/jessel/crane' are more than likely ALL MADE IN THE SAME FORGERY...even the harlandsharp rocker bodies 'besides the minor finish machining diff' ...if you look at them, the bodies are the same with just a different anodizing ...the needle bearing types all take a 146 incased roller bearing, wether this or that company makes that 146 bering doesnt really matter since they area ALL held to meet the same standard.

Comp rockers have been revised from the original pro mag to the ultra because some people who were running BIG lifts with LOTS of spring psi were having shaft/rocker bore galling issues 'the rockers were wiping out and transferring metal to the shafts -hughes mentions this fwiw...then they go on to cover the competition by saying that the PRW comp style rocker that are bushed have poor geometry...they wouldn't want you thinking you can get a lower cost rocker that addresses the galling issue with bushings cause then they would lose $$$$

the only rockers that have honestly been proven time and time again to be total pieces of sht are the PROFORMS/440 SOURCE/INDY ROCKERS, the rest simply have been tainted by the 'over spray/pigeon holing' coming from fear mongers rants on how they fall apart into your engine therefore you should have spend 500+ on rockers for a street engine.

I have been running the chinese needle bearing rockers for a couple of years, only issue I ever had was on 1 of the rockers having too much side play 'my fault', which let the need bearing move side to side over and over again and wore the race some, but still.... no failure, no catastrophe, nothing but me replacing the one rocker.

There guys are this site who drag race yrs with the same set of chinese rockers with no issues.
The key is good adjusters and proper setup, if you dont do this...that your own fault.

The other catch , is that some of the off brands replace the needle bearing with bushings, that kinda wipes out the argument from the fear mongers about needle bearings falling into the motor, which by the way,,, I gotta ask these same people how the bearing can get out if there are spacers and correct side play are involved....

they'll probably say next that the rockers will shatter into pieces like hypereutectic pistons supposedly do....LOL!!!!!

The only issue I see with the needle bearing rockers is improper installation leeding to it failing. For the cost of the rocker and sloppy instalation by some back yard wrench turners, it's not worth the expense and what they think is an ease of installation. While it should be easy as bolt on and go, this is simply not the way it is with anything.

I was talking with DusTed when he dropped off my rear (8-3/4) at my door the ptherday. He told me what extrude is and I have no issue with that process. It's just a wide rocker cut down to size (Width) as needed for that application. So T/A - W2 off set rockers are simply a wider cut of the same material used for regular rockers.

DusTed works for S&S whom of which purchased Crane. Ted is very knowledgeable.

The material comes from there surplier and final machining is taking place at Crane for what ever head/rocker width is needed. Thus the lower price between nornmal and W2 stuff.

I'd wish MP start making the ecno head again.

OH, the Ductile arms are a super strong metal with a low expantion. Excellent for mechanicla rocker arm packages. If your not going to a roller rocker, then a ductile should be used with high performance and/or high lift cams.

Although I haven't run it yet I have the PRW 1.6 stainless steel bushed rockers on my engine. My engine builder is a Pro Stock racer. I trust him.

I guess I got my hughes rockers before they decided to make em all on their own...but either way, they are a nice rocker..

Although I haven't run it yet I have the PRW 1.6 stainless steel bushed rockers on my engine. My engine builder is a Pro Stock racer. I trust him.

Hmm, pro stock racer in or near Atlanta? Warren Johnson or Eric Shelton? Is Eric still trying to race pro stock?

1wild, twas you, I was reffering to, on the extrusion question, thanks. Hughes explained that their waiting on their supplier for the shafts, only? Well here we are and no contact, about the shafts. I just want some decent,friggen,rockers/shafts. I`m about to turn that threat into a promise. If I don`t get a tracking# by tomorrow, they can keep em.
I`m leary about anything chinese, but on the same token, My goodness, these rockers are salty:shock: Makes ya want to say wong fong, wow wow, gimme some of dem rockers now:tongue3:
Thanks for the shout outs fellas.

1wild, twas you, I was reffering to, on the extrusion question, thanks. Hughes explained that their waiting on their supplier for the shafts, only? Well here we are and no contact, about the shafts. I just want some decent,friggen,rockers/shafts. I`m about to turn that threat into a promise. If I don`t get a tracking# by tomorrow, they can keep em.
I`m leary about anything chinese, but on the same token, My goodness, these rockers are salty:shock: Makes ya want to say wong fong, wow wow, gimme some of dem rockers now:tongue3:
Thanks for the shout outs fellas.

You might save some dough and just piece them togehter if you can,I just bought 16 of the hughes 1.6 rockers (they have the rockers but not the hardware like you mentioned) and am using existing hardware I have.I already had some heavy shafts and left over spacers so that helped but you can buy that stuff reasonably if you shop,you can also use your stock hold downs if your not real hot on spring pressure since there wont be alot of flex,just a thought.

Well, kit came in friday, everything`s cool, all is forgiven, can`t wait to get all this back together. Seems to be really nice stuff. Thanks again everybody.

This is what the Comp steel rockers look like. They don't have a good picture of the Mopar ones on thier website. The shafts are extra thick and study. No need for bananna groove shafts with the oiling cavity in these rockers.

Attachments

• 1_16_11Sm02.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 508
  • 1_20_11Sm08.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 1,244
-
Back