Rocker panel dimensions?

-

Rob de Bie

Reaction score
New member here, with a rather strange question! I'm researching the 'Chrysler kit car' from the seventies, and in particular its chassis, shown here:

chryslerkitcar-15.jpg

It took me quite a while before I realized that the A-body rocker panels were retained, to comply with 'stock car' requirements.

I watched two YouTube restoration videos (both Darts), and made a sketch of what I think the rocker panel sheet metal looks like. I hope I got it roughly right? My question is: what are the cross-section dimensions, i.e. the width and height? The flange height would be useful too. I need the numbers for a technical analysis.

chryslerkitcar-19.jpg

If anyone could help me out here, I would really appreciate it.

Rob

I will get those measurements from my 73 Duster tomorrow if you'd like.

Convert, hard top, post or 4 door?

Convert has a heavy u channel inside the stock rocker.

The hard top should have the same profile as convert

Post and 4 door might be diferent

Last edited:
This is what I got off me 67 dart convertible.

The top 1/2 inch is estimated due to trim in place

5 to 5 1/2 is estimated with a tape measure by sight also due to rocker trim in the way.

2 3/4 is the horizontal distance I goofed when highlighting

16735745219065261186353131386722.jpg

Last edited:
This is what I got off me 67 dart convertible.

The top 1/2 inch is estimated due to trim in place

5 to 5 1/2 is estimated with a tape measure by sight also due to rocker trim in the way.

2 3/4 is the horizontal distance I goofed when highlighting

Dana67Dart, a big thanks, that's more than expected!

I copied your drawing below, but mirrored (sorry). There's one dimension lacking to finish the drawing, top right corner. Could it be that the 1.5" measurement at the top right is also a horizontal dimension? Could you please check those two? Many thanks in advance!!

chryslerkitcar-20.jpg

Rob

I will get those measurements from my 73 Duster tomorrow if you'd like.

Niceolddart, many thanks for your offer! Dana67Dart already got most of the dimensions. If there's a possibility to get the dimensions of the inner rocker panel, I'm all ears. Many thanks in advance!

Rob

Convert, hard top, post or 4 door?

Convert has a heavy u channel inside the stock rocker.

The hard top should have the same profile as convert

Post and 4 door might be diferent

Dana67Dart, those are good questions, but I don't know the answers. I just know that the Chrysler kit car used A-body rocker panels. If you bought it with sheet metal, it could look like this. You could order it with 108" wheelbase Dart or Duster sheet metal, or 112" Swinger or Scamp bodywork. That's about all I know..

chryslerkitcar-11.jpg

Rob

What I do for a fellow A body guy!

I have some better numbers I'll post in a few
PXL_20230114_172355710.jpg

from the actual measurements, then plotting them I was 0.083" difference in the overall height
There is a lot of eyeballing due to the radiused corners.

But the inner and outer chamfers are correct using radius gages unless Estimated is noted

1673721367117.png

I bet you could find someone that would send you a cross section of rocker from a parts car.

I have been fitting my sketch to the rocker and have some minor tweaks. Ill post in a few.

Final fit.

1673728143044.png

The only thing that I am thinking is the 7" radius should be more like 8" or maybe 9", 10 is way too flat, but with the trim on I have to estimate based on the outer surface if the trim.

PXL_20230114_202606643.jpg

PXL_20230114_202600010.jpg

PXL_20230114_202552494.jpg

The inside of the rocker is shaped something like this but my car is a factory undercoat car so the dimensions are almost impossible to determine

1673728628158.png

Last edited:
Dana67Dart, a huge thanks for all your research and measurements!! It's much more than I ever expected. Great idea too, that paper template to check the measurements and shape! Is there any way I can return the favor?

PS: sorry for the delayed reply, I was away on a family visit for the last few days.

Rob

Just help someone else out.

You have to watch paper prints, check a known dimension in the print. My printer had to be scaled down 6% For 1/4 inch to measure 1/4 inch on the paper.

I then used packing tape on both sides to stiffen the paper print before cutting.

Where I used to work we had a 60" x 20' drag knife cutter, oh the things I could do with it today!

-
Back