Rocker sweep pattern

-

oldkimmer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, just wondering what you guys think of this pattern. I rolled the engine over by hand after adjusting the rockers. Any and all input appreciated. This is on a set of Speedmaster heads with Comp Ultra Pro Magnum rockers. Thanks. Kim

View attachment 1715975480

View attachment 1715975481

CD49E893-F396-4AB3-805F-7BEB931764F1.jpeg

D2FD4289-88AB-4EA5-901C-FA5E90A10008.jpeg

couldnt be much better !
I dont what the geometry looks like but the sweep is centered at least. This is what you want at the least for wear...so hows the geometry? What's the angle of the push rod to rocker and rocker to valve stem?
I have some like this I run too. I'm going to get a b3kit for it though.

Looks good from my armchair. Good thing you used quality rockers because the Speedmaster rockers are junk.

Rocker geometry is quite complex. It has two parts, the prod side & the valve side.
While the pic shows a nice centered pattern [ sleep well at night ] it might produce less valve lift; that could be because of the rocker angle to the valve [ comparing the fulcrum pivot to the contact point n the valve tip ], the prod angle [ contact point of prod & fçrum pivot ] or both cumulatively.
A contact point that is not centered on the valve tip might produce more lift, alter the opening/closing rate. It could also affect v/guide wear.

Just watched a Steve Morris build and this sweep looks better than his 800+hp Big block Chevy.

We did run it for about 200 miles. It was seeping antifreeze into cylinder number 3. So my buddy took it to have the head gasket replaced and the head checked. That’s when this snow balled into a total rebuild. The guy replaced every valve and valve guide and redid the valve job. He rejoined the cylinders and replaced the rings. He said the cylinders didn’t have any cross hatch left. Looked like it had 50,000 miles on it. He replaced the bearings because they only had .0003 thou (that’s 3/10s of a thousands of an inch)clearance. He said there wasn’t any damage yet but ther would of been if he had driven it much longer. Didn’t polish the crank or replace the timing set. Didn’t replace the cam, lifters, oil pump or valve springs, retainers and locks. Kim

Go to B3’s web site for his writings on this subject.
The first thing is the rocker arm, how it sits and the angle it’s on and then where the tip sits. Next is P rod length.

Extra or less valve lift is possible with setting this up. The important thing IMO is what you have shown. A very minor swept tip path. That will reduce valve guide wear to near zero. As by compare to a wide sweep which will wear a lot.

-
Back