rockers

-

tekslk

Reaction score
I have a la 360 with hyd lifters and stock rockers. My question if I go to 1.6 what can I expect for my money? Is it worth it? Will it give the cam any more rpms or what exacly are they doing for me? I also have eddy alluminum heads any recomendations on rockers?
Thanks Tom

The increased rocker ratio works like this.
The math:

.480 lift divided by the 1.5 rocker ratio = .320
.320 X 1.6 rocker ratio = .512
This .032 gain is small. But the higher lift is more than likely useable even on a stock head. Though there really isn't much of a reason to lift the valve past the heads abilty to flow air on the street level ride, the stock head should still do fine at this lift.

Now the new higher lift is also more accurate over the stamped rockers that normally fall under a ratio between 1.48-1.42.

The other thing the new rocker ratio does is rise the valve a tad bit sooner increasing the cam duration as seen at the valve. The increase is super small. 2*'s is the given increase.

To me, the use of a higher rocker ratio just simply gets back the missing advertised lift of the cam and a little tiny bit more. It is a known fact that you loose some lift due to the angles within the engine.

The thing you should look out for and prep for in the increased vale lift is clearances. At the piston to valve & spring bind.

Does it add HP & torque?

Yes, but I doubt the butt Dyno will notice.
Consider the use of 1.6 rockers as getting what you should have gotten at the valve in lift from the cam to start with. Not what you actually get, which would be less than what is advertised.

I have a la 360 with hyd lifters and stock rockers. My question if I go to 1.6 what can I expect for my money? Is it worth it? Will it give the cam any more rpms or what exacly are they doing for me? I also have eddy alluminum heads any recomendations on rockers?
Thanks Tom

Generally speaking...the stock rocker ratio is not even 1.5...plus they are usually all over the place...but going from a 1.5 to 1.6 will generally get you about .030 in lift....

The best thing is allows you more accurately set the preload on each lifter.....

And you might need to get new pushrods from a ball n ball to a ball n cup....

Hard to tell what if any power you will gain without more info on your engine.

360 30 over
rpm air gap
tti headers
holley 770 street avenger
mopar dizzy with hei conversion
timing at 20 initial 36 total
Should I spend money on rockers, motor runs great at the present time, or spend money on another project?

Thanks Tom
For the HP you gain , not worth it . I changed to 1.6 because I needed new rockers , would no go and spend the $$ just for the small hp gain though .

I just bought the Hughes 1.6 rockers for my build.

Eddy heads flow [email protected]
254/260 cam

My engine builder estimated 15hp gain going from 1.5 to 1.6
Hughes said it is engine specific but anywhere from 15-25hp with my combo.

Also had to take a grinder to the rockers for clearance they are the 273 , six pac style , I have the Ede alu heads too . 15 - 20 HP gain sounds about right . My peak Hp used to be @ 5700 now @ 6100 , torque I forget but around the same peak was @ 4200 now @ 4600

15-25 hp on my car might be worth the money for rockers,pushrods etc. I was thinkin comp, will this setup work without grinding on eddy heads?

Unless I missed It, you didn't mention what cam, converter and gears you have. Does the car ever go to the track? For a mild hyd cam ,the stock rockers are pretty reliable and I don't feel that a rocker change would be a good bang-for-the-buck mod if you are on a budget. I doubt you will feel any difference on the street but it may show up on an et slip.

Street driven, one time it took one pass down the strip.
355 gears.
comp cam cant remember specs seams it had 507 lift if thats a help.
Mostly goes to cruise inns and shows.

I'm running Comp's roller rockers on my Edelbrock heads.
Been there for about 10 years now.

-
Back