rod bearings yea or nay..?????????????

-

highflyer

Reaction score
My parts came today...I opened the rod bearings..federal mogul[sealpower] and noticed the have a notch cut in the end of the bearing for throwing oil into the cyl across from it.the clevite bearings I had in there didn't have that notch..i don't want to put notched bearings in there and have the oil ring not be able to keep it under control..whats the thot on this notch today..yea or nay....how about clevite vrs federal mogul...j​

Run it either way. Notch or not. It's not critical. I actually prefer the notch. It's no deal breaker either way.

I noticed they have a notch cut in the end of the bearing for throwing oil into the cyl across from it.​

Are you talking about the locating tabs on ends of the bearings?

mlKnH3cMpih6WgfjXf--LUA.jpg

I cant get a mental picture of how a rod bearing could throw oil up a cylinder bore.
Crank throws, rods, etc.., would do that anyway, right ?

.................Don't forget it helps oil the camshaft.......the notch bearing has been in every mopar engine for decades, but maybe not now. not sure on newer stuff.........kim...........

I cant get a mental picture of how a rod bearing could throw oil up a cylinder bore.
Crank throws, rods, etc.., would do that anyway, right ?

It's in the end of the rod so it's supposed to oil the opposing cylinder. With the advances in oil control and cylinder wall finish it's not needed anymore and in terms of production, it removes a step of production of the bearings which is probably why some don't come with it. I wouldn't be too concerned unless you're running a lower-than-factory tension oil ring package.

well that's good to know..my engine guys furnished clevite no notch last time I bot FM NOTCHED this time and ill go with them ..TX..j

-
Back