Rod's 71 Barracuda

-
I also have an E body Cuda, '73-4spd. I have a huge amount of work to do in the back. Looks like it was a jigsaw puzzle when it was put together.

I also have an E body Cuda, '73-4spd. I have a huge amount of work to do in the back. Looks like it was a jigsaw puzzle when it was put together.

It is a puzzle, I took a couple of pics to help and recorded some measurements as well. Can't wait to get it back together.

Almost done dismantling the back half of my car. Looks like I will need a passenger outer wheel house, was hoping it was repairable, but it is not worth the effort. Quarters and trunk have already been bought. Frame rails are solid.

I feel like a he-man as I can lift the back of the car off the jack stands.

Attachments

• IMG_1925.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 404
Trunk floor, extension, outer wheelhouse, and deck filler lid clamped in place with vise grips, just to see what it looks like.

Kind of looks like a car. I have to remove the remnants of the quarters from the B pillar and down by the rocker, then will be able to check out fitment of the quarters.

Getting excited, hopefully by the end of the fall, car will be a roller again.

Attachments

• IMG_1966.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_1965.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_1987.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 387
Melting some lead to remove the last remaining parts of the rear quarters!

Picked up a four speed this weekend.

I think I will blow everyone's mind and not put in a pistol grip shifter. Although they look cool, I drove my 71 cuda with my hand on top of the pistol grip. I think I will stick with a ball type shifter.

Haven't done much this last few weeks, been out of town several weekends. Anyhow, working on another patch (where the trunk floor meets the backseat floor hump).

Got to use my HF bead roller. I think it is looking pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_2717.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_2719.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 317
Curiosity got the better of me. Wanted to see what my car looks like sort of together. I am psyched!

Attachments

• IMG_2722.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 297
Worked on fit-up of my quarters today. Real close to screwing it all down for final placement. Then it all comes off so I can weld in the floor, extensions, one outer wheel house, quarters, and deck filler. Yee haw!

Attachments

• IMG_2889.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 255
Lookin good! You did a great job on the piece you had to make from scratch. :prayer:

Thanks,
I am kind of learning as I go. My restoration is more of a functional restoration since I am not really worried about how original it is.

I found out my deck lid had a ton of bondo on it and six or seven holes in it. The junk spoiler was an original AAR spoiler, too bad. I am not sure what to do with the deck lid. I thought about the possibility of buying the cheapest repro and just using the skin to re-skin the original frame.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Rod

Hows it going? any more progress? I just bought a 71 cuda as well and have to change pretty much the same metal as you!

I have the everything screwed down and looking pretty good. I might have to do a pie cut on the deck filler panel as I have a small gap near the window. I might be able to clamp down on the flange prior to welding to it together better. The gaps on the deck lid look awesome on the driver side. On the passenger side, the gap gets bigger towards the top. Probably will need to add a little metal to the side of the deck lid for a perfect fit. I think that will be easier than trying to mess with the quarter.

Last night I started messing around with my rally gages. The oil pressure gage doesn't work. The fuse block had a little melt down in the past. It looks like that will need replacing. I have another wiring harness from a non-rally car that I might be able to rob from.

I am pretty close to welding it back together. If only my trans in my Honda didn't go out, water pump in my daughters Gran Prix, son's truck needing new front suspension, wife's car thermostat, upcoming blizzard, me being lazy, etc, etc.

I am pretty close to welding it back together. If only my trans in my Honda didn't go out, water pump in my daughters Gran Prix, son's truck needing new front suspension, wife's car thermostat, upcoming blizzard, me being lazy, etc, etc.

Blizzard threat sounds like it could ugly. Be safe up there.

I'm super jealous, it took me most of last winter to take out and replace the trunk floor. Most of the spring and summer to replace the inner wheel houses and add subframe connectors. But thanks to you I'm going to feel like a failure if I don't have both quarters, trunk extensions, and rocker panels done by spring and have it ready for paint by summer. You set the bar too high for me.

All those other things that get in the way! I'm needing to replace the water pump in the Dart. The upcoming single digits are way below what it is protected to after diluting it from the leakage. So.... drain it, add more coolant or do the darn job... Mama was really good to me so I may just put the juice in and spend the time with her.... Cuda is looking great! I hope to get more done on mine.... Someday!

I would sure be tempted to at least mini tub it with it already down to that....

I'm super jealous, it took me most of last winter to take out and replace the trunk floor. Most of the spring and summer to replace the inner wheel houses and add subframe connectors. But thanks to you I'm going to feel like a failure if I don't have both quarters, trunk extensions, and rocker panels done by spring and have it ready for paint by summer. You set the bar too high for me.

I didn't have to mess with the rockers which makes it a little easier. Don't be too hard on yourself!

All those other things that get in the way! I'm needing to replace the water pump in the Dart. The upcoming single digits are way below what it is protected to after diluting it from the leakage. So.... drain it, add more coolant or do the darn job... Mama was really good to me so I may just put the juice in and spend the time with her.... Cuda is looking great! I hope to get more done on mine.... Someday!

I would sure be tempted to at least mini tub it with it already down to that....

Hadn't really thought about mini tubbing it....hmmm....

You can get a pretty respectable tire in an E-body without tubbing but it is tempting.

-
Back